• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay coins
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Am I just going blind or do alot Ebay sellers take bad pictures of their coins? Don't get me wrong. Alot of them take great pictures and are excellent sellers. But I was just on there browsing around and some of the pictures look like they were took from the other side of the room and out of focus. Also alot of them are shot at angles of the coin laying down and out of focus. Or just show a picture of half the coin and say in the description, "She's a real BEAUTY."  Be nice to see it and make that judgment on my own. I figured most of the bad pictures was to hide all the flaws. When I do buy I try to stay away from one's like that. I ended up getting a cleaned Morgan dollar like that when I first started collecting. Looking thru the 3 cent silvers is probably one of the worst categories for bad pictures on Ebay. I figured I'd get on here and make conversation with you all. If anyone wants to add anything it is very much welcomed. Love hearing from you all. 

4 minutes ago, Lem E said:

You can always tell its not a collector or a coin person if they don't show both sides of the coin. I agree there are some terrible pics on ebay. Not a great marketing strategy.

I agree. That just makes stay away from them. Like they are trying to hide something about the coin. 

11 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I agree. That just makes stay away from them. Like they are trying to hide something about the coin. 

I don’t understand how people can post a blurry pic of something they are trying to sell, regardless of what it is. You can clearly see its blurry and terrible. TAKE A BETTER PICTURE!!!

If I was gonna sell something I would want people to see the flaws if they are there. Don't want to trick someone into buying something. Then again I never was a business man. I aways go in the hole. I hate to charge people for stuff. I was going to start selling firewood several times over the years and ended up giving it away every time. That's probably why I'm so poor now to though. Lol. 

Some people just won’t take the time to do things right. Not saying they have to be professional pictures, but at the very least, be clear enough to tell what it is. 

Edited by Lem E

As stated, some are not collectors. I've picked up a couple better than decent coins at cheap prices due to poor pics. You can always tell if they know what they are doing if you look at their feedback. If they just sell odds and ends stuff and no coins, might get a deal. If they sell a lot of coins with bad pictures they could be losing money or hiding . 

24 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

As stated, some are not collectors. I've picked up a couple better than decent coins at cheap prices due to poor pics. You can always tell if they know what they are doing if you look at their feedback. If they just sell odds and ends stuff and no coins, might get a deal. If they sell a lot of coins with bad pictures they could be losing money or hiding . 

I have to agree with you all 100 percent on that. That makes a whole lot of sense.

12 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Yes, been true since 1998.

Actually since 1997. Echo Bay morphed into eBay (small e, big B). There are several stories as to how this all came about. Regarding photography and lighting... that was the subject of a recent thread here: fluorescent vs. incandescent.  Some have a natural knack for such things; others do not and probably never will. You can also tell a great deal about a seller by the manner in which they package their product for shipment to you.  My best advice: always look at the reviews and exercise due diligence.

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Actually since 1997. Echo Bay morphed into eBay (small e, big B). There are several stories as to how this all came about. Regarding photography and lighting... that was the subject of a recent thread here: fluorescent vs. incandescent.  Some have a natural knack for such things; others do not and probably never will. You can also tell a great deal about a seller by the manner in which they package their product for shipment to you.  My best advice: always look at the reviews and exercise due diligence.

I've seen some pictures it looks like they took from the other side of the room. Had to read description just to see what they were

53 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

I can believe it, but I've only been on ebay since April of 98 so I had no information from before that.  I should have said  "Since at least 1998".

No problem.  I cheated.  I looked it up curious to know if the name was an acronym.