• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC at the Forefront of British Numismatics
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Most of the coins are distinctive though a few quite overpriced as far as I am concerned, except compared to the closest comparable US coinage.

The one coin which is most overpriced is the 2019 5S.  The price is absurd and I presume due to the COA #1.  I'd rate it as one of the most overpriced and worst numismatic values in the world, literally.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:04 PM, World Colonial said:

Most of the coins are distinctive though a few quite overpriced as far as I am concerned, except compared to the closest comparable US coinage.

The one coin which is most overpriced is the 2019 5S.  The price is absurd and I presume due to the COA #1.  I'd rate it as one of the most overpriced and worst numismatic values in the world, literally.

Are you referring to the 2019 £2000 2-kilo (64.3 oz troy) Una and the Lion?  With a mintage of only 4 pieces, I’m quite sure there is nothing all that special about a COA#1.

I think you are confusing this with the smaller issued gold pieces. It’s not a bargain at the price noted, but it is nowhere near the most absurd or overpriced numismatic item I’ve seen. 

13 hours ago, brg5658 said:

Are you referring to the 2019 £2000 2-kilo (64.3 oz troy) Una and the Lion?  With a mintage of only 4 pieces, I’m quite sure there is nothing all that special about a COA#1.

I think you are confusing this with the smaller issued gold pieces. It’s not a bargain at the price noted, but it is nowhere near the most absurd or overpriced numismatic item I’ve seen. 

Might be it but I did not know it had a mintage of four.  I did not look it up, only that I saw it was a 2019 and a 5 Sovereign.

Most overpriced coin ever (not even close) is the South Africa 2008 Mandela 90th BD 5R NGC MS-69 purportedly sold by the South African Coin Company for the equivalent of $338,000.

3 hours ago, World Colonial said:

Might be it but I did not know it had a mintage of four.  I did not look it up, only that I saw it was a 2019 and a 5 Sovereign.

Most overpriced coin ever (not even close) is the South Africa 2008 Mandela 90th BD 5R NGC MS-69 purportedly sold by the South African Coin Company for the equivalent of $338,000.

It is not a 5 sovereign.  It is a 2 kilogram hunk of gold with nominal value of £2000. 

33 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

The little I have dealt with foreign collectors and dealers. and sadly this was around ten years ago, NGC was the far and away the best accepted US grading firm. 

It still is.  PCGS has become particularly inconsistent and wild with some of their grading of non-USA coins. 

4 hours ago, brg5658 said:

It is not a 5 sovereign.  It is a 2 kilogram hunk of gold with nominal value of £2000. 

My error.  I did not read the commentary completely.  I don't consider it a real coin either, similar to several China NCLT.

5 hours ago, brg5658 said:

It still is.  PCGS has become particularly inconsistent and wild with some of their grading of non-USA coins. 

Complicating matters is the fact that the two top TPGS have submission centers all over the world.  As you may know, I collect French 20-franc gold roosters and it stands to reason I will trust those who grade them frequently than their counterparts in CA and FL who come across them only occasionally.