• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 d small date (hopefully)

34 posts in this topic

Alright, my friends. I hope I got this right, but at least I am trying, lol. I am attaching a pic of all the 182-d pennies that I have. In the pic, the three I believe to be small date at the bottom right. I don't have scales yet, so I can't weigh them. Did I pick the right ones, as far as looking at them? 

Is there another way to tell their composition other than weighing them? Also, how do I get that gunk off of them? 

CM210218-201136001.jpg

CM210218-201158002.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204021_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204119_Android System.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204551_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204626_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204705_Android System.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204732_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

2 hours ago, l.cutler said:

Those are all small dates. Unfortunately they all also have zinc bubbles, so they are going to be copper coated zinc.  Weighing is the best and most reliable test.

Agreed on all counts. There are a great many small date examples out there, but unless they’re bronze, it doesn’t matter. And while weighing them would be the best way to find out, they appear to be zinc.

When folks are willing to learn, like you are, the help will continue to be forthcoming.  It's the folks that come here thinking they have found a one of a kind coin worth millions, ask for help, get mad when the experts here give them the disappointing truth, and then they continue to argue. Those are the folks who will have a difficult time here.  

Oh, and don't let @VKurtB scare ya.  xD

Lol, @Morpheus1967, I have seen a few of his comments to others that seemed a little... harsh. However, when I went back and read the whole thread, it was warranted in MOST cases. He reminds me of a teacher I knew once and her whole, I mean entire demeanor, was based on her students. So, I think as long as my attitude stays in check I won't have any trouble with him. 😊

1 hour ago, Sharann said:

Lol, @Morpheus1967, I have seen a few of his comments to others that seemed a little... harsh. However, when I went back and read the whole thread, it was warranted in MOST cases. He reminds me of a teacher I knew once and her whole, I mean entire demeanor, was based on her students. So, I think as long as my attitude stays in check I won't have any trouble with him. 😊

All you need to know about me is my disdain for the “treasure hunter” mentality. 

7 hours ago, Sharann said:

Well, lemme tell ya, I would love to find a treasure, just like the next person, but that is not why I am doing this. Because I LOVE it! That is why. I am gonna give you a succinct version of my testimony so asnot to keep you all day. 

My husband was killed in a wreck last April. (I don't Ned sympathy because I am at peace. My faith has not let me down yet.) My little boy went with his uncle to get a gun I had bought his daddy many years ago. Well, when they got there, it was gone. (That is another story so I'll leave it there) Inside the safe they found a bag of coins that my husband had apparently been saving. Evan, my son, has ALWAYS loved coins so I am sure that is who they were for. One day I decided to get the coins and try to do something with them. Put in a book or something. So, I have pampered and cared for so many coins lately that I feel like they are my children. Lol. Anyway, it would be great to find a treasure so Evan could have it later, but the story behind this bag of coins has no money value. So, now, besides the fact that I like to learn and understand, I try to learn more so I can teach him as he grows. (He has finally stopped burying the I the yard) 

Very sorry to hear about your husband. Tore my heart out reading that. Hard to lose someone dear to you. But I'm the same way on the coin collecting. I love learning about it. I been doing a whole lot of reading and studying on them. Some of these guys have wrote some amazing books. I'm the same way about finding the treasure also. Be nice but I've learned to accept reality. This is a very fun hobby and I've learned so much about history of our country and others studying up on the coins. It was great to see you post on here. You remind me a whole lot of myself. Have a wonderful blessed day and happy collecting. Hope you do find that treasure. 

You are too sweet. I am glad to have met you also. You seem like a kindred spirit. But it also seems like you ought to live closer, lol. You look so familiar. Anyway, I am gonna have another coin question in a little bit. Maybe I'll talk to you then. Thank you 😊

On 2/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, Sharann said:

I wish I knew what knowledge I could offer, since I know nothing about coins, but...

Just keep asking questions and reading.  You will keep soaking up information and as time passes you will see newbies come in asking questioned that YOU now know the answer to and you will be able to pass on that knowledge as well.  All of us here started out as newbies asking questions as well.  If not here then somewhere else.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, Sharann said:

Alright, my friends. I hope I got this right, but at least I am trying, lol. I am attaching a pic of all the 182-d pennies that I have. In the pic, the three I believe to be small date at the bottom right. I don't have scales yet, so I can't weigh them. Did I pick the right ones, as far as looking at them? 

Is there another way to tell their composition other than weighing them? Also, how do I get that gunk off of them? 

CM210218-201136001.jpg

CM210218-201158002.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204021_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204119_Android System.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204551_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204626_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204705_Android System.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-204732_Cozy Magnifier & Microscope.jpg

Sharann just to help you understand I just bought some very nice BU pennies and found out there are 7 (one person said 9) varieties of 1982 pennies  I am attaching my book with the 1982s so you can see for yourself.

4F8ED82A-41B8-4B9C-BE3E-ADBA9E2EE3F5.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Sharann just to help you understand I just bought some very nice BU pennies and found out there are 7 (one person said 9) varieties of 1982 pennies  I am attaching my book with the 1982s so you can see for yourself.

Thank you! Y'all are all so helpful. I am so fortunate to have found this forum. 

1 minute ago, Sharann said:

Thank you! Y'all are all so helpful. I am so fortunate to have found this forum. 

Me too. I've learned so much from these guys and gals on here. Met some very good friends also. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Those are just beautiful! I have some 184d pennies. I'll be glad to send you one, lol. Some 1983, 1983d, shoot, I probably have everyone you need to fill it up, lol. They may not be as pretty, but some of them look pretty good. I have lots... Just sayin. 🙂

On 2/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, Conder101 said:

Just keep asking questions and reading.  You will keep soaking up information and as time passes you will see newbies come in asking questioned that YOU now know the answer to and you will be able to pass on that knowledge as well.  All of us here started out as newbies asking questions as well.  If not here then somewhere else.

Brilliantly stated, C101 ! (thumbsu

On 2/23/2021 at 11:39 AM, Conder101 said:

And who said that Yankees wouldn't understand? Just playing, but I do appreciate the encouragement for sure! And, for the record, I would never have guessed you for a Yankee 😊

29 minutes ago, Sharann said:

I would never have guessed you for a Yankee 😊

For the record....I'm a Mets fan. (thumbsu

Seriously, this is a great resource.  Plenty of archived threads might be of interest to whatever coins you collect.  If you find one that's a gold mine of information for your types of coins, save the threads as PDFs on your PC in case anything ever happens to the thread or this site.

I did that with the Saint-Gaudens Burdette thread. Takes a PDF per page (so 25+ PDFs already) but for me, that thread is worth it's weight in Saint-Gaudens ! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

8 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

For the record....I'm a Mets fan. (thumbsu

Seriously, this is a great resource.  Plenty of archived threads might be of interest to whatever coins you collect.  If you find one that's a gold mine of information for your types of coins, save the threads as PDFs on your PC in case anything ever happens to the thread or this site.

I did that with the Saint-Gaudens Burdette thread. Takes a PDF per page (so 25+ PDFs already) but for me, that thread is worth it's weight in Saint-Gaudens ! xD

Those saint Gardendale sure are beautiful. I'm hoping one of these days I will be able to get one. I've learned a whole lot reading your thread on them. Great info. 

35 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Those saint Gardendale sure are beautiful. I'm hoping one of these days I will be able to get one. I've learned a whole lot reading your thread on them. Great info. 

The price is certainly something that makes collecting them difficult, unless you have plenty of $$$.  Unlike more recent coins or less expensive coins, you can't buy one with some loose change and bills you saved since your last paycheck. xD

But that adds to the enjoyment.  If money was no object, I could buy 3-5 coins a week and be done collecting in 3 or 4 months.  Having to build up savings...finding the right coin....it takes time.  Makes it that much more enjoyable.

Went 5 years between latest Saint purchase.  Gave me lots of time to read up on them....watch prices...read books....read threads and forums. 

Glad you found the thead useful, Hog.  Roger's contribution makes it unique...lots of good threads here and elsewhere on the internet but rarely do you see a numismatic expert and recent author on the subject contribute his thoughts as frequently as Roger has graciously done so.  His book is one of 3 "must-reads" for Saint collectors or Saint fans.....plus Akers 1907-33 Gold Coin Book and Bower's GUIDE BOOK on DEs.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

27 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

The price is certainly something that makes collecting them difficult, unless you have plenty of $$$.  Unlike more recent coins or less expensive coins, you can't buy one with some loose change and bills you saved since your last paycheck. xD

But that adds to the enjoyment.  If money was no object, I could buy 3-5 coins a week and be done collecting in 3 or 4 months.  Having to build up savings...finding the right coin....it takes time.  Makes it that much more enjoyable.

Went 5 years between latest Saint purchase.  Gave me lots of time to read up on them....watch prices...read books....read threads and forums. 

Glad you found the thead useful, Hog.  Roger's contribution makes it unique...lots of good threads here and elsewhere on the internet but rarely do you see a numismatic expert and recent author on the subject contribute his thoughts as frequently as Roger has graciously done so.  His book is one of 3 "must-reads" for Saint collectors or Saint fans.....plus Akers 1907-33 Gold Coin Book and Bower's GUIDE BOOK on DEs.

I may slowly save up for one and read his book. Seems like everytime I try to save up for a coin I end up needing the money. Vehicle breaks down or something. I wish I could find me a steadier job. The weather affects me a whole lot also. Winter months are horrible. I could do good if it didn't rain and snow everyday.