• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should there be a "Frozen Star of Texas" commemorative?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

...It could have a burst water pipe on the reverse -- or possibly a family shivering the the dark. Just thinking about "pop-up" commemoratives as a new category for the Mint to try.

Maybe  a big Texas star with icicles hanging from it, and the whole star wrapped in an unplugged electric blanket...?

10 minutes ago, LNCS said:

Sounds terrible. I could never handle that cold. (it was -25 here last week)

Well, at least that's a nice, round number -- easy to remember when telling stories to the great grandkiddies.

8 minutes ago, RWB said:

Well, at least that's a nice, round number -- easy to remember when telling stories to the great grandkiddies.

Double it for a good story. We are back to shorts weather now for shovelling snow.

7 hours ago, RWB said:

Exaggerated weather systems and patterns are an outcome of overall planetary warming.

I’ve heard that for decades. I don’t buy it. Convenient excuse. Does the same apply on other planetary bodies over time? Does more warmth overall generate extremes? Both Venus and Mars have far higher concentrations of CO2. Plant life created earth’s oxygen, and it continues to do so, every Spring, while every Autumn, CO2 increases as photosynthesis declines. 

Edited by VKurtB

hoghead....its a 45,000 year cycle, if u live long enuf u will be able to hear the glaciers creaking by there in ole kaintuck, by then the liberals will be passing laws to mandate everyone has to burn so many gallons of petroleum products per day n u will have to increase ur carbon footprint by 1% per year, that is if there are any liberals left, if not perhaps we can commission a commemorative half dollar on their passing....

On 2/18/2021 at 9:18 AM, zadok said:

hoghead....its a 45,000 year cycle, if u live long enuf u will be able to hear the glaciers creaking by there in ole kaintuck, by then the liberals will be passing laws to mandate everyone has to burn so many gallons of petroleum products per day n u will have to increase ur carbon footprint by 1% per year, that is if there are any liberals left, if not perhaps we can commission a commemorative half dollar on their passing....

That's what I always thought.  I thought the climate changed every so many thousand years due to Earth not spinning on the exact same path every time around the sun. It ever so slowly  changes its course over several years and that's what causes it to change. Kind of like the Greenland and Iceland thing. And keeps repeating its cycles over the centuries. 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:16 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Mathew McConaughey transporting the Olympic torch in his Buick and reigniting a BBQ grill as he drove by. That coin would be eligible for every registry set under the sun.:devil:

Might as well make it a multiple coin set.

Isn't McConaughey driving Lincolns ? Man I watch too much TV hm

4 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's what I always thought.  I thought the climate changed every so many thousand years due to Earth not spinning on the exact same path every time around the sun. It ever so slowly  changes its course over several years and that's what causes it to change. Kind of like the Greenland and Iceland thing. And keeps repeating its cycles over the centuries. 

Climate change and projections of impacts are based on real data and reliable thermodynamic calculations. The climactic "cycles" are defined by sets of data points covering a very long time span - at least in human terms. The 26,000 year "wobble" in earth's rotation has little effect because the rotational tilt remains the same. Real changes can be correlated with the earth's orbit; however, all of these are on time scales much longer than those currently being observed. Further, there are direct statistical and anecdotal correlations between use of fossil fuels and both mean temperature increases and effects of weather pattern changes.

For any closed system there is a tipping point beyond which it loses the ability to self-regulate: it becomes a "runaway" system that stabilizes only at some undetermined, and entirely new set of conditions.

Public confusion arises not from the observed changes, but from an ignorantly-politicized dispute about why the sudden changes (150 years is incredibly "sudden" in climatology). Frozen dogma is useless in attacking and moderating the observed changes. The human population of earth is the only entity with the capability of remediating mean temperature increases. It is not certain what will happen if we act. If we do not act the math is clear and the impacts on all life on earth will be significant.

For those who point to events like the cold outbreak in the central and southern US and say "So how can this be global warming?" the response is that this is exactly the kind of effect expected from an increasingly chaotic weather system. Greater variability, greater intensive, unanticipated departure from historic and prehistoric patterns, all are predicted on large scales but are not understood (yet) on the small scale of local regions.

For coin collectors, the takeaway is: don't put coins in a bank box in a 1,000 year flood plain.

Edited by RWB

Change is incremental and cyclical in nature and occurs over vast swaths of time. Mt. Tambora? A Year without a summer? That galloping crack on the Antarctic continent? Disappearing Monarch butterflies? Mass deforestation?   I do not believe anyone living now has anything to worry about. Just live responsibly, treat others the way you would want to be treated, and yes, that includes those from all walks of life.

It got so iced over here the other night the possums was breaking in to get out of the ice and snow. Lol. I put him in a tote and fed him up and took him up the road and turned him loose where my dogs wouldn't kill him. He acted like he was starved out. It eat like a hog. I guess couldn't break thru the ice to eat anything. He was probably happy he broke in. 20210219_070442.thumb.jpg.d9a3eef27bf10a1b424706ecf951e7ad.jpg

Yesterday I heard Neil deGrasse Tyson say that we are in a temporary respite from an ice age cycle. “Normal” is only meaningful compared with human expectations. Our planet will get warmer, cooler, and warmer before this ice age is over. What we are doing by burning fossil fuels is a “rounding error” when compared with nature’s cycles. Yes, right now, human activity and the natural cycle are pushing the same direction. So what do we do? Stop bailing out people who build stuff on barrier islands. Ya pays yo money an’ ya takes yo chances. Charge full market value for the risk in insurance premiums. Nobody could afford it? Good!

Look, the icecaps on Mars are TINY compared with just 50 years ago. Are we burning so much fossil fuel that we’re even affecting Mars’ polar caps? C’mon, get reasonable.

Edited by VKurtB

I don't know about a Frozen Star but there is only one thing that will warm the cockles of by then honorary member VKurtB's heart and that is bringing back the Old Spanish Trail Half Dollar featuring that Texas steer skull to be released during the state's quincentenary in 2035, the 500th anniversary of the Cabeza de Vaca Expedition.  😉