• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin in Grading Process but not complete. I don't know what the grade is yet so if someone could tell me if I should be excited yet, I would appreciate it.
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have several coins in grading right now at the Grading/Quality Control State. One of them, an 1887 Morgan Silver dollar has the following status on the submission status line

1887/6 TOP-100 $1 VAM-2

Thanks in advance.

"Top 100" refers to a specific list of Morgan varieties grouped under that title. It has limited relation to popularity, value, availability or general interest.

"1887/6" refers to the overdate and VAM-2 is the specific variety. Here's the description copied from VAMWorld:

1887-P VAM-2 7/6 Overdate

Discovered by Ted Clark, November 1971.
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
2 III2 2 C3a (7/6) (189) I-5 R-4
Obverse III2 2 - 7 repunched over 6 in date. The bottom loop of the 6 shows as a long curved line starting up slightly from the lower right bottom of the 7 and extending upwards one-third the digit height. On the left side of the stem, a short spike slants upwards at a point one-third the way up on the stem height. A short vertical spike shows at the very top of the 7 crossbar in the middle. A short spike also slants upwards from the middle right side of the crossbar.

Comments:
1. 1887 VAM-2 7/6 overdate. This variety is one of the Morgan VAMs recognized and priced in the Red Book, crossing over into many mainstream collections. If you examine the last digit of the date, a 7, the remnants of a 6 can be seen to the lower right.
2. Horizontal scratch in front of the eye as a Pick Up Point from Vampicker. See additional photos below

Edited by RWB

22 hours ago, RWB said:

"Top 100" refers to a specific list of Morgan varieties grouped under that title. It has limited relation to popularity, value, availability or general interest.

"1887/6" refers to the overdate and VAM-2 is the specific variety. Here's the description copied from VAMWorld:

1887-P VAM-2 7/6 Overdate

Discovered by Ted Clark, November 1971.
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
2 III2 2 C3a (7/6) (189) I-5 R-4
Obverse III2 2 - 7 repunched over 6 in date. The bottom loop of the 6 shows as a long curved line starting up slightly from the lower right bottom of the 7 and extending upwards one-third the digit height. On the left side of the stem, a short spike slants upwards at a point one-third the way up on the stem height. A short vertical spike shows at the very top of the 7 crossbar in the middle. A short spike also slants upwards from the middle right side of the crossbar.

Comments:
1. 1887 VAM-2 7/6 overdate. This variety is one of the Morgan VAMs recognized and priced in the Red Book, crossing over into many mainstream collections. If you examine the last digit of the date, a 7, the remnants of a 6 can be seen to the lower right.
2. Horizontal scratch in front of the eye as a Pick Up Point from Vampicker. See additional photos below

😮

On 2/15/2021 at 3:51 PM, kenlee47 said:

😮

My Morgan finally got shipped today !. Final grade is VF35 Not totally disappointing but hoped for more.

grading shows value of $50. On a more positive note the 1921 Morgan score an MS63 and the 1922 Peace dollar scored ms63  finally the 108 Silver Eagle scored MS67,so all in all not a bad day for me at NGC.

These coins were submitted under economy grading and received by them on December 29th.  I'm glad I submitted them.

4056046_Full_Obv.jpg

4056046_Full_Rev.jpg

4056047_Full_Obv (1).jpg

4056047_Full_Rev.jpg

4056075_Full_Rev.jpg

4056075_Full_Obv.jpg

4056049_Full_Rev.jpg

4056049_Full_Obv.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

No I don’t even know about overdate

Well, that's a very nice bonus. The overdate is not rare, but it is still a very small part of a large mintage. Also, the 6 is difficult for many to see. Good of NGC to identify it for you.

I don’t know about the silver Eagles, but considering the grading fees for the dollars, you probably could have netted more by selling them without getting them graded. In other words, I don’t think the grading fees will be recouped in the way of added value that would make up for the added cost.

Probably just barely but I’ve wanted them graded as I’ve had the Morgan’s and Peace dollars for 20 years. I just popped for the ASE “w” proof limited to 337,440 and got one. I have to send that one in for sure. Just a pleasure collector but someday the grandchildren will enjoy them.

15 hours ago, RWB said:

Well, that's a very nice bonus. The overdate is not rare, but it is still a very small part of a large mintage. Also, the 6 is difficult for many to see. Good of NGC to identify it for you.

This is why I almost exclusively buy slabbed coins.  I'm not smart enough too buy them raw....with a few exceptions.

image.thumb.png.a42c3a77d9e79fda8dbd56599162ec7b.png

Edited by BearlyHereBear