• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good time to sell?

9 posts in this topic

So with all the craziness about silver is now a good time to sell? We have the entire MS70 ultra cameo statehood coins (rated 12th in the NGC registry whatever that means) and it seems like now they are inflated in value, but we were thinking twenty years from now was our target sell date, but did it come early? What does the group wisdom think? Taking all insights here...  

I have not looked at prices, but, if it looks like you may be able to get your target price by selling now, it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and turn them loose. There is no way to predict what silver, or Statehood Quarters, or inflation, or the ability to freely buy or sell will be like in 20 years.

38 minutes ago, uhadme said:

The pros are saying silver is still going to double by Summer.. there is really no downside to holding such rare coins.  They will always increase in value

That is not really true as the coins you have are not really rare.  Just as an example, the first coin the 1999-S Delaware in PF70UC there are 671 in the NGC pop report alone I did not check the PCGS pop report but I'm sure there are several hundred listed there also.   Looking at the auction prices realized the prices for this issue are down significantly to around $600 from prices realized of close to or even over 1K around 5 years ago.  Some of the other coins in the series are retail selling for $50-$75 each for the silver coins, I see that L&C coins has a PCGS PR70DC 1999-S Georgia listed for $60.  Keep in mind that from a strict silver content value these quarters are only worth around $6 each today outside the slab, even if silver doubles that is only another $6 so I don't see a ton of price appreciation from the silver content.   Silver would need to hit at least $300 for the silver value to even approach the market value of the lower value coins in the series.

You seem to know a lot about supply and demand.  TP shortage for example   Are you aware that industry has been using 20% more silver than is mined?  That means the reserves have been depleting for years.  Once you realized that TP is running low (sliver).. they will run to it and try to get some.  Causing temporary spikes until when?  from now on.  Silver is not worth mining or recovering.. 98% of all the gold ever mined is still around.  Silver is used in medicine, industry.. and silver plating etc.  about 40% of all the silver mined remains.  JP Morgan controls 50% of that above ground silver and has been fined for manipulating the market to 120:1.. there is no way silver would naturally be that far under value... and HUGE crisis when APMEX or mints cannot find a supplier.. so red flags are everywhere. Kick back and see it happen

On 2/25/2021 at 5:53 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

They have been saying that about silver for 25 years.  

This. Exactly. They've been saying it continuously at least since I got back into collecting coins in 2008.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, D.Lowe said:

We have the entire MS70 ultra cameo statehood coins (rated 12th in the NGC registry whatever that means) and it seems like now they are inflated in value... What does the group wisdom think? Taking all insights here...  

The value of those coins is probably about 50-90% the fact that they have a 70 on the label and not a 69. Their market value has almost no connection to the spot price of silver. Now, a MS69 graded 2021 Silver Eagle is a very different animal and it could easily be (and has been) pushed up by the Reddit Raid and the squeeze, which has pushed up premiums on physical metal. Is now the time to sell? I know nothing about MS70 or PF70 quarters but personally I'm not selling my silver NCLT yet.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, Coinbuf said:

... so I don't see a ton of price appreciation from the silver content.   Silver would need to hit at least $300 for the silver value to even approach the market value of the lower value coins in the series.

Well said.