• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Washington quarter clipped unknown year

10 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Just wondering if that is a minor clip on the side.

I think it is. It appears to be showing The tell-tale tapering of the rim, and on the reverse, the Blakesley (spelled it right that time) Effect appears opposite, left of the tip of the Eagle's wing.

That's wild it's heavily circulated like that. I figured someone would have plucked it a long time ago. What got me is the side view of it looks beveled on both sides. Like it's been pinched with something. How do those machines that cut them work exactly. And the little rough lip sticking in the middle on the side view of it. 

Edited by Hoghead515

12 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

After thinking on it a few. The stamping of the coin could cause that beveled look though couldn't it.

Yep. It does seem a little more pronounced than normal but I haven't seen many clips either.

Here's a nice little article on clipped planchets and some diagnostic markers. Also explains the Blakesley Effect a little.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/how-to-identify-a-genuine-clip-coin--collectors--clearinghouse.html 

20210kljoij204_134452.jpg.437097f37bef5cd4958cbec5edb2e3f9.jpg.b2aa9a8a91a100c96ccb8a85e835cc48.jpg