• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Trade Dollar purchase!!! Have a look!!!
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Just acquired my first trade dollar.

Here’s a few pictures I took of my new coin. Just curious possibly an estimate on value of the coin and anything else I need to know. I’m usually a Morgan dollar collector and know nothing about these trade dollars but have had hundreds of Morgan’s graded... can’t find anything anywhere on the 1875 cc and a respectable value for the doubled reverse.  

thanks in advance

1875 CC Double Die Reverse11EB8F2E-DDC1-48E2-8730-8F7A7D0BD4E5.thumb.jpeg.ea7c71b6ab1a5ab619a6f807058360a8.jpegF7EFD01F-47B4-44A4-9435-6AC701D3B388.thumb.jpeg.902b28258e386c952eb184d500efd0b4.jpeg

96B6B197-2F3E-48E9-90B8-09F80B562763.jpeg

28CBC2D5-2CF2-4F8C-BC44-8BE276D3169E.jpeg

I’m not exactly an expert on Trade dollars but I do have some concerns. The date looks a lot different than any other date I could find from the internet. The way it is worn also makes me skeptical. I hope I am wrong for your sake. Maybe someone with more experience with Trade Dollars can help you for sure.

6D246D42-E1E3-4A79-A62E-FB4F36CB2C15.jpeg

Edited by Grant Gerlinger

The OP's coin appears to be a counterfeit deliberately worn and "toned" to resemble a circulated coin. Weird double punched letters in 'United.' Here is an authentic 1875-CC Trade dollar in Fine condition (top) and the OP's coin below.. (Photo from Heritage archives - approx $375.)

1875-CC Fine.jpg

1875-CC fake.jpg

Edited by RWB
Fix formatting - as usual

I am going to "add insult to injury," and say that anyone who has had hundreds of Morgans graded should never have fallen for this fake. A quick check of the Red Book would have shown you that there is no way that this could be a genuine coin.

I will have to agree this is looking like a counterfeit as much as I don’t want it to be. Guess I’m stuck with this junk, thanks again for the insight everyone! Dealt with this before on a counterfeit gold nugget actually. Luckily my friend owns a coin shop so I’m always right within 24hrs or so..

I should have noticed the date and now I’m noticing the L on the back side of Dollar is inconsistent.. 

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

It is simply a shame how many counterfeit coins are out there. Almost makes you not even want to make an attempt to collect these older coins. I don’t know how many threads I have read where the verdict of the coin is a fake. Just a killer to the hobby.

46 minutes ago, Me4it said:

I will have to agree this is looking like a counterfeit as much as I don’t want it to be. Guess I’m stuck with this junk, thanks again for the insight everyone! Dealt with this before on a counterfeit gold nugget actually. Luckily my friend owns a coin shop so I’m always right within 24hrs or so..

I should have noticed the date and now I’m noticing the L on the back side of Dollar is inconsistent.. 

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You can't return it?

1 hour ago, Me4it said:

It is way more obvious than that. Seriously, check your Red Book.

Edited to add: I don't like being so cryptic, but I really hate giving counterfeiters any assistance, no matter how easily they could find it on their own. I will PM you the reason it can be easily identified as a fake, if you like.

Edited by Just Bob

pretty sure I ran into a counterfeit morgan ....that being said I made sure I either kept it (as a instructional tool) or returned the offending piece.Now I  I only buy from reputable dealrs with red book in hand.......buh bye flea bay.

Morgan dollars are darker, and all the replica silver coins I’ve seen that are counterfeit are usually alittle off colored like this one and don’t weigh correctly. Which is weird because this one weighed perfect.. never seen a counterfeit with correct weight before..

22 minutes ago, Me4it said:

Morgan dollars are darker, and all the replica silver coins I’ve seen that are counterfeit are usually alittle off colored like this one and don’t weigh correctly. Which is weird because this one weighed perfect.. never seen a counterfeit with correct weight before..

no some morgans can be darker but not by rule of thumb.....I have an ngc graded 1881 ...that proves my point.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, Me4it said:

I will have to agree this is looking like a counterfeit as much as I don’t want it to be. Guess I’m stuck with this junk, thanks again for the insight everyone! Dealt with this before on a counterfeit gold nugget actually. Luckily my friend owns a coin shop so I’m always right within 24hrs or so.. I should have noticed the date and now I’m noticing the L on the back side of Dollar is inconsistent.. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Questions....did you do any research on Trade Dollars before buying this coin ?  Also, how much did you pay relative to what you thought you might have to for a coin of this pedigree ?

And am I reading you correct...your friend's coin shop sold you the coin ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, Me4it said:

Happens ALL the time...with digital scales cheap, they figure that most people will check the weight on silver and gold coins.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, Me4it said:

Working on that right now. Id assume so. Customer satisfaction and the old Customers always right haha!!!

It’s not just a matter of customer satisfaction. Legally, you have a right to a full refund when a counterfeit is involved.

Why are Trade Dollars so often counterfeited ?  I'm not familiar with the type, so excuse my ignorance.  Are they pricey, popular, or what ?

I get counterfeiting Morgans or Saints or even Liberty's or more modern coins, I take it the mark-up on Trade Dollars makes counterfeiting worth it, huh ?

BTW, am I wrong in thinking that counterfeiting of more recent coins from the 1930's onward -- especially non-gold, non-silver coins made of nickel and other elements -- is less of a problem than older coins and/or coins made from PM's ?

Welcome to the Forum where everyone who "comes correc[tly]', as it is said on the street, gets a fair shake. While I am sorry for your  loss, not all fakes and counterfeits are bad.  Many, in fact, fetch top dollar and are stunning to behold. Right now, as we speak, the Intagliomint, which bills itself a private, boutique mint, is churning out 1873-CC Trade Dollars that are of exceptional quality and a sight to behold. On the reverse you will find a rather amusing but likely accurate "960 Grains" and ".999 Fine Ag." These "Tribute"  reeded edged coins are 6mm. thick and weigh Two Troy Ounces. Now, I am aware precious metals such as gold and silver are weighed in troy ounces while metals such as copper are weighed using the avoirdupois system.  Question:  is that a tare weight balance you are using for your coin and, if so, why? Ordinarily tare weights are used in connection with the trucking industry at weigh stations and such or is the presence of a "mode" setter provided to correct that?

59 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Question:  is that a tare weight balance you are using for your coin and, if so, why? Ordinarily tare weights are used in connection with the trucking industry at weigh stations and such or is the presence of a "mode" setter provided to correct that?

Doubtful that his scale is big enough for a truck -- unless it's a Matchbox truck....

tare weight? from what?...as for mode I'm assuming grams......For the op to get a said weight he would have to ''zero ''out any additional weighted object then omit the object when weighing just the coin...if it was indeed light and not the proper weight to begin with.I am not suggesting that he did....but whatever.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Doubtful that his scale is big enough for a truck -- unless it's a Matchbox truck....

True, but would not the weight reflected be skewed and inaccurate?

57 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

True, but would not the weight reflected be skewed and inaccurate?

One has to know tare weight of the container.