• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 d penny

14 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tridmn said:

Or was 93 when they went to cam? I thought it was 92? Either way, between the 92 and 93 I posted, either one worth hanging on to

Yep. 93 is when they went to the close AM 

Or was 93 when they went to cam? I thought it was 92? Either way, between the 92 and 93 I posted, either one worth hanging on to

Maybe this will help you in what to look for. There are only four years and seven varieties you need to worry about.

1992 CAM, P & D mm (Rarest Variety)

1998 WAM, P mm 1998 CAM, S mm

1999 WAM, P mm 1999 CAM, S mm

2000 WAM, P mm

On 2/6/2021 at 8:59 PM, Tridmn said:

Or was 93 when they went to cam? I thought it was 92?

93 was when they were SUPPOSED to go to Close AM, but as usual at the end of 1992 a stockpile of dies for 1993, and 1993 cents were being made as well.  At least one 1993 reverse was accidentally used at Denver and at Philadelphia to strike 1992 cents which were still in production as well.

5 minutes ago, moirabeth said:

can anyone help me? i have a 1993 penny that looks silver. it isn't steel, i tried a magnet with it. it is for real or a fake

Here we go again. It’s plated, AFTER it left the Mint.

Or it was struck on an non-plated zinc planchet. Or it was struck on a dime planchet.  Impossible to say which of the four possibilities it is without seeing it.

i found this forum after looking for more information on some of my coins and saw this one had a similar question. i am appreciative for the serious responses to my question. as for the others, deal with it.