• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel and paper cents
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I was reading an old issue of The Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine dated back to December 1942. They was talking about Congress getting ready to approve the zinc steel cents and also about Boise Idaho printing paper 1 cent pieces due to coin shortages. This was something I'd never heard about before. I know this is a coin forum but I figured there would be a few here that knows more about it. Was the paper cents only good in Boise Idaho or could they be redeemed anywhere? Also wonder why other places didn't follow suit or did they?  This is something I'd like to learn more about. I guess I could look it up on Google but I just like talking to people and would love to hear some feedback. I also learned they was discussing whether to issue plastic cents but they would be to light for vending machines so they went to the zinc steel cent. Sounds like they thought of several different things before they decided on steel cents. 

It looks like it was only in Boise and apparently the federal government did not like it and threatened to prosecute the issuers of them. You can buy you one on ebay. I also read where the were thinking of using tempered glass for cents. Crazy. Here is one of those “tokens”.

7EDF1859-4E49-4B26-9B0C-AC6B7BA13FC9.jpeg

8 hours ago, Lem E said:

It looks like it was only in Boise and apparently the federal government did not like it and threatened to prosecute the issuers of them. You can buy you one on ebay. I also read where the were thinking of using tempered glass for cents. Crazy. Here is one of those “tokens”.

7EDF1859-4E49-4B26-9B0C-AC6B7BA13FC9.jpeg

That's some cool stuff. That's the first time I heard of them. I've read lots of cool articles in those old magazines. 

Paper scrip was common during financial depressions and shortages of authentic coin. The entire metal-plastic-glass 1942 cent situation is discussed in detail in the book United States Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II (2013) by the present writer.

To avoid trouble with the Treasury Department, most issuers qualified their scrip with a phrase such as "Good For One Cent in Trade" or even "Value Me As You Please." The Boise folks claimed the scrip value was actually "one cent," which did not sit well with Henry Mogenthau and staff.

Paper scrip is not discussed in the book - it is about legitimate Mint-sanctioned experiments.

Edited by RWB

It would be interesting to know how they planned to “strike” or put a design on a glass planchet. Etching maybe. May have to pick up yet another of Roger’s books.

Edited by Lem E

1 hour ago, Lem E said:

It would be interesting to know how they planned to “strike” or put a design on a glass planchet. Etching maybe. May have to pick up yet another of Roger’s books.

I find that stuff very interesting. I seen some pictures of those old glass coins they expiremented with while back. I think they was graded by NGC.  They was very neat. Would love to have one one of these days. They are probably a bit on the expensive side. Don't remember seeing any prices. I think it was Blue Ridge Glass Corp. Who made them. If you get the chance look into it. Its very cool stuff. I believe I'm gonna purchase his book soon.  I'd really like to journey into the subject a little further. 

13 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I find that stuff very interesting. I seen some pictures of those old glass coins they expiremented with while back. I think they was graded by NGC.  They was very neat. Would love to have one one of these days. They are probably a bit on the expensive side. Don't remember seeing any prices. I think it was Blue Ridge Glass Corp. Who made them. If you get the chance look into it. Its very cool stuff. I believe I'm gonna purchase his book soon.  I'd really like to journey into the subject a little further. 

Looks like there are some examples right here on the NGC website. I guess it wouldn’t be much different than how they do a glass coke bottle. Interesting stuff.

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

Neither plastic nor glass could be "struck" with coinage dies. The pieces had to be cast or hot pressed (depending on material) much like buttons or plastic model airplane parts.

As an aside --- because of manufacturing requirements for plastics or glass, none of the pieces could be called "proof" regardless of how shiny the surface. Differences in "grade" are attributable to manufacturing inconsistencies and post-casting handling/treatment.

9 minutes ago, RWB said:

Neither plastic nor glass could be "struck" with coinage dies. The pieces had to be cast or hot pressed (depending on material) much like buttons or plastic model airplane parts.

As an aside --- because of manufacturing requirements for plastics or glass, none of the pieces could be called "proof" regardless of how shiny the surface. Differences in "grade" are attributable to manufacturing inconsistencies and post-casting handling/treatment.

Thanks for the info. I did see a few images of the glass coins and saw the remaining material on the outside of the coins. Reminded me of some of the ancient stamped coins. Very interesting. May have to dive in a little deeper.

4 minutes ago, RWB said:

Glass was never actively considered. The Blue Ridge Glass Co. heard about the plastics experiments and "begged" to be allowed to try.

I’ll bet they would have loved to get that government contract.

Did they end up striking proofs on the steel cents? The article I read was written before they came out and they said they didn't know if they were gonna be able to strike proofs or not. 

Edited by Hoghead515

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

Looks like there are some examples right here on the NGC website. I guess it wouldn’t be much different than how they do a glass coke bottle. Interesting stuff.

That is where I saw them now that you mentioned it.  Some of them looked really good. I would love to own an example. I'd say it would probably run a fortune to add one to the collection. 

3 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Did they end up striking proofs on the steel cents? The article I read was written before they came out and they said they didn't know if they were gonna be able to strike proofs or not. 

Nope. The experimental pieces were literally "engineering and materials experiments." Collectors' proofs were discontinued with 1942. The plan was to reintroduce them in 1947, but Congress got in the way, so ti took until 1950.