• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New but not new to this site

14 posts in this topic

I joined this site 3 ½ years ago but never bothered to post.  I’m on a few other coin forums and recently read that some who received the “Red Avatar of Shame” and were banished now post here, so I figured I would see what’s happening.   I already see some users that I recognize from elsewhere

Best Regards

Oldhoopster

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Welcome back and sorry to hear you had problems.  This Forum is pretty relaxed but there are rules to follow.  I personally think we have a pretty relaxed atmosphere  Good luck.

Sorry, I may not have been clear.  I didn't get bounced, but some members that I used to follow (who had been dismissed for what I thought were questionable infractions) post here.  I enjoyed their numismatic scholarship and willingness to share interesting info.  IMO, that void was never filled when they were shown the door, so maybe I can find some of that here.  No matter how long I've been in the hobby, I'm still trying to learn new stuff.  

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

What are your collecting interests?

I have not been buying too much over the last few years.  I’ve added some Early commems that I find historically interesting, a couple to my Colonial type set (the kids will soon be out of college so A New England silver may be within reach), and started a Charlotte/Dahlonega Type set.  Other current interests include German Metal and Porcelain Notgeld, and Germany 1873-1945, Ireland/Australia/New Zeeland Pre-decimal sets in circulated grades (i.e., cheap). 

At various times, I’ve been interested in US series from early copper to Morgans and still am a member of the CWTS.  I’ve also dabbled in ancients and medieval, although my reference books are probably worth more than the coins (I have a bad habit of buying expensive books to ID cheap coins).  Coming up on 40 years in the ANA, have held offices in local coin clubs, and have written a few articles for club newsletters. 

Good to see your icon! Non-coin question....Why do basketball players have numbers, such as 44, when there are only 12-15 on a team? Do they get numbers based on age, points scored, shots made (or missed).... OK - probably an unfair question for your first posted thread.

There are some good folks here who will try to engage and help. Few of the repetitive things that abound ATS or elsewhere, although then new collector forum can get a little strange. :)

57 minutes ago, RWB said:

Good to see your icon! Non-coin question....Why do basketball players have numbers, such as 44, when there are only 12-15 on a team? Do they get numbers based on age, points scored, shots made (or missed).... OK - probably an unfair question for your first posted thread.

There are some good folks here who will try to engage and help. Few of the repetitive things that abound ATS or elsewhere, although then new collector forum can get a little strange. :)

High school and college can only use the digits 0-5 i,e, 1,2 3,4 ,5, 10, 11, 12, 13....54, 55.  That equals 35 choices (I think 0 was approved for use recently).  When the referee calls a foul he signals the number to the scorers table by holding up his fingers.  One hand is for the 1st digit and the other hand is  for the second digit. I think they also hold one hand palm towards they scorer and one hand back to they scorer.  All this is in case the scorer can't here hear the ref calling out the number if the place is noisy.

My son's college team usually has between 15-20 kids on the team, so there aren't too many extra numbers, plus they don't have a uniform with every number.  (My avatar is a pic of my son)

When I played in HS years ago, all of the local schools wore light colored home uniforms with even numbers and dark colored with odd numbers for away games, so I was 40 and 41.  That effectively meant only 17 numbers could be used for a game.  Plus, the uniforms are used for multiple years and they need different sizes.  My HS uniforms 1-15 - small; 20-35 medium; 40-45 Large; and 50-55 XL (that's why a lot of centers wore high numbers and guards wore low numbers) 

I guess that's more useless info regarding basketball uniform numbers than anybody wants to know:insane:

No, it's actually interesting to understand how the numbering system evolved. Now -- next task is to apply the same approach to Sheldon numbers and TPG coin grading. Do TPG assign numbers based on coin's age, its popularity, times submitted (or in a competitor's slab), or possibly with some vague relationship to Sheldon's screwball "system?" (Not "phrenology" - that's his other screwball system toy.)

Of course, that's not a serious question - but it's Friday and already snowing and the trained moose are trying to clear the roads with their antlers. ;)

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, RWB said:

No, it's actually interesting to understand how the numbering system evolved. Now -- next task is to apply the same approach to Sheldon numbers and TPG coin grading. Do TPG assign numbers based on coin's age, its popularity, times submitted (or in a competitor's slab), or possibly with some vague relationship to Sheldon's screwball "system?" (Not "phrenology" - that's his other screwball system toy.)

Of course, that's not a serious question - but it's Friday and already snowing and the trained moose are trying to clear the roads with their antlers. ;)

I think @Insider holds up his fingers for the first digit and his toes for the second digit of the grade for the finalizers to confirm.  :devil:

As for Sheldon numbers.. they must use the daily lottery number

35 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

I think @Insider holds up his fingers for the first digit and his toes for the second digit of the grade for the finalizers to confirm.  :devil:

I figured he just counted the fluorescent tubes he uses for lighting coins.

1 hour ago, Oldhoopster said:

That explains why there is only one correct "grade" for every 321,548,299 submissions....Now it's clear. Thank you!