• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is reholder risky?

21 posts in this topic

Ok. It's a stupid  newbie question. Does reholder service have the probability to damage the coin..

I watched several videos on YouTube and found it's quite hard to crack a ngc holder open. I also found on the reholder paper work that submitter should consent reslabing may damage the coin if they use non-ngc holder.

I'm very curious about how ngc and pcgs open their sealed slabs. 

Could damage occur? Yes, but the chance of that is extremely slim. The grading companies have had a great deal of experience cracking holders open and it’s not at all difficult for them. The same goes for many dealers and collectors who have devised various way to open the holders safely.

There is always a risk when removing coins from TPG slabs, however it is not all that difficult and TPG's like NGC have been doing this for a great many years.  I do not know how the TPG's do it but one of the easiest ways I know is to use a band saw to remove the edges of the slab, once the sealed edges are gone the front and back are free to separate like two sheets of paper. 

25 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

There is always a risk when removing coins from TPG slabs, however it is not all that difficult and TPG's like NGC have been doing this for a great many years.  I do not know how the TPG's do it but one of the easiest ways I know is to use a band saw to remove the edges of the slab, once the sealed edges are gone the front and back are free to separate like two sheets of paper. 

Another way is to use a vise and apply pressure until the holder can be helped open.

57 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

...one of the easiest ways I know is to use a band saw to remove the edges of the slab....

I tried this with several bands -- even an original J.P. Sousa Band recording of "Stars and Stripes Forever," but the edges stayed firmly in place. Maybe and Extra Heavy Metal band will work better. (Tried Rapping it, but just gave myself a headache.)

:)

At the 2019 World’s Fair of Money I watched on dealer lay one end of a slab on the “runs along the floor” leg of a show floor chair and stomp on the slab with his shoe to crack a slab open to resubmit it. Not difficult apparently. And this is a dealer who paid 4 figures for his table rent. 

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

At the 2019 World’s Fair of Money I watched on dealer lay one end of a slab on the “runs along the floor” leg of a show floor chair and stomp on the slab with his shoe to crack a slab open to resubmit it. Not difficult apparently. And this is a dealer who paid 4 figures for his table rent. 

I wouldn't have that much faith in myself. It would scare me to death to do that. If I tried I would probably end up destroying the coin 

I have cracked out many coins and this is what I do. I use a razor knife with a new blade and cut the face of the slab following the inside of the raised outer edge of the holder. The face and the back of the holder is the thinnest part of of the holder and therefore does not require much pressure to cut thru it. It is also the furthest point from the coin. I place the holder on a slab of hardwood and cut all 4 sides. The face is easily removed without disturbing the coin at all. This has worked for me, you must use caution because the coin will fall out easily. I will tell you I am not an engineer but I am a lifelong mechanic so I am very accustomed to undoing the nightmares engineers create. I am only saying that this technique has worked for me, you decide if it will work for you. I was very nervous the first time but it worked so well I find it extremely easy to do.. 

The process described above works on all holders including NGC even Mint holders. I have not damaged a single coin . I am not saying it can't happen just not to me. If you do this exercise caution.. This is not endorsement of the process just what I have had success with myself. As is with all techniques there is risk.

I have only submitted one re-holder and it did not go well. It was a medal made out of aluminum which is soft. It went in as a MS67 PL from ANICS and came out as NGC Uncirculated Details - Bent. Can't say for sure if it was damaged during extraction, but it is probable given the soft aluminum metal.

All of the foregoing may make for interesting reading but fails to mention the specific tool used by TPGS to de-encapsulate coins submitted for submission. To my knowledge, this has never been disclosed during, or long after a grader's employment.

Here's a Coin I just recently acquired that will get the Crack out treatment. It was in an ICG slab with a bottom basement Mint State score marked with DMPL next to it. I'm sending it to NGC in my next barrage. 

I have a probability of losing something rather than gaining and that is a risk I'm willing to take. Sometimes you just got to live a Gambler's Life

s-l1600 (14).jpg

s-l1600 (15).jpg

14 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Here's a Coin I just recently acquired that will get the Crack out treatment. It was in an ICG slab with a bottom basement Mint State score marked with DMPL next to it. I'm sending it to NGC in my next barrage. 

I have a probability of losing something rather than gaining and that is a risk I'm willing to take. Sometimes you just got to live a Gambler's Life

s-l1600 (14).jpg

s-l1600 (15).jpg

Very nice. Hope she scores a good grade for ya. 

20 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

s-l1600 (14).jpg

s-l1600 (15).jpg

I just like the coin, but while there is at least PL contrast, the fields are a little marked up to get a gaudy grade. I just like the look generally.

There is always risk to damage but also the other grading companies won't guarantee the grade.  I did one of the "Dr G" and "Ben the Coin Geek" experiments and it cost me more than the fees and shipping.  I lost both grades and values on 5 of 5 coins.  Financially it didn't break me and to some degree it was for the entertainment but crushing as the outcome was far more disappointing than I prepared myself for.  Steer clear of ICG or if you have ICG graded coins leave them be and enjoy as they are or sell as they are.

I noticed that most people are talking about the risk of changing non-ngc holder to ngc holder.

What about reslabing ngc's own holders? Do they guarantee no damage for that?