• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i ask an opinion for this coin. Thanks
1 1

11 posts in this topic

The edge of this coin should have lettering on the edge reading HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT with decorations between the words. It appears to be a 1795 Draped bust small eagle dollar ( bust left) BB-51, B-14) variety., IMO. I have concerns about the left side olive branch leaves and the eagles wing. I am certainly not an expert and I am only giving you my opinion. There were only 42,738 of these minted and this was the first year of the draped bust dollar which was minted from 1795-1804. I am sure there are many more knowledgeable people on this forum who can give you more details. I tend to be more cautious than most which is why I brought up my concerns about the olive branches and the wing. I cannot blow this picture up enough to see the areas of concern and I cannot stress enough this is only my opinion. Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Hi thanasisvolos. This is not really a "registry" topic.  It's more of a "Newbie Question. See here: https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/forum/90-newbie-coin-collecting-questions/

It is not possible to authenticate coins by photos only. To me this looks like a replica of a 1795 Small Eagle draped bust dollar with an off center bust.

Many counterfeits exist.  Here are some links:

Dear friends. Thanks a lot of your instant answers, advices and opinions. Dear Ray USMC,  unfortunately the edges of the coin are reeded.! So, is this  a fake or copy of an 1795 Draped bust small eagle dollar ( bust left) BB-51, B-14) variety..?liberty1.thumb.jpg.36ccddc2576e5a4648ae9545e7eae975.jpg

I would agree. No edge lettering indicates Fake or attempted copy. but not anything I can find for this coin with reed edge. The left side of the reverse olive leaves are missing leaves and the positioning does not look properly spaced. The right side also appear to be to blunt and not sharply pointed.  The top of the left wing looks much less defined that I would expect from an example of this quality.

Thanks to all of you for the informations and opinions.. But for sure is not a china work, because we have this coin for over 45 years.here.In Greece. and I dont think that the Chinese at the 70s were working on fake american coins..  Maybe somewhere in the USA. (By the way, ,the coin has the right dimensions and weight).In any case many thanks.

Edited by thanasisvolos

6 hours ago, thanasisvolos said:

Thanks to all of you for the informations and opinions.. But for sure is not a china work, because we have this coin for over 45 years.here.In Greece. and I dont think that the Chinese at the 70s were working on fake american coins..  Maybe somewhere in the USA. (By the way, ,the coin has the right dimensions and weight).In any case many thanks.

If you've owned it that long then it would not be from Colorado -- Lebanon was an active counterfeiting location then, much as Peru is now for counterfeit currency.