• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Wheat Cent. A loss for words. Grease filled?

8 posts in this topic

Hoping to find out any type of information on this coin. I have never come across anything like it before.  That is the actual color of coin, silver/grey. The only places where copper color is visible is on the cheek of Lincoln and in a few spots on the outter edges of coin. Not sure if this is a grease filled die maybe? or what exactly is going on with it. the reverse of coin almost resembles the reverse of an Indian Head cent. but i dont see that being a possibility.  Any type of help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.    Ohh i did weight the coin, its 3.1 grams. I know copper should be 3.11g my scale doesn't read to the thousandth.  

IMG_20210115_211655.jpg

IMG_20210115_211806.jpg

Just a badly damaged coin.

Sometimes you may never know exactly what happened to a damaged coin but if all you need to know is that it could not have happened during the striking of the coin so it is PMD