• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 quarter with a die clash on the obverse

13 posts in this topic

I found this 1966 quarter with a eagles head struck Thru on the reverse in Washington's  head would this be considered  a die clash or a double  strikie error is there any premium value in this coin 

20210121_005656.jpg

20210121_005240.jpg

20210121_040750.jpg

Edited by Brad adams

It looks like damage, to me.

Think about how the obverse and reverse dies are arranged in relationship to one another, and you will see why this could not be a die clash. (Hint: turn the coin over, and see what is on the reverse directly opposite Washington's head)

Also think of the direction, what you see as an eagles head is facing the wrong direction from what a clash would.  This is also a question for those more informed on clashes thatn I am, would a clash reach the recess of the die?

5 hours ago, l.cutler said:

Also think of the direction, what you see as an eagles head is facing the wrong direction from what a clash would.  This is also a question for those more informed on clashes thatn I am, would a clash reach the recess of the die?

Very unlikely, for that to happen you would need a very low relief design and dies that had been used so long and had been lapped many times so that most of the design was lost already before the last clash.

As to the op's question there is no indication of any sort of clash that I can see. 

On the dies, both Washington's head and the eagle's head are incuse -- lower than the rest of the die faces. They cannot touch unless all the other raised die areas are first compressed - this makes the kind of clashing the OP described impossible.

Further, for coining the dies are rotated 180-degrees relative to each other. Thus the eagle's head is opposite the lower part of Washington's bust, not his head.