• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 d nickel possible rare error

10 posts in this topic

I have a 1964 d nickel that look to be silver content it weights 5.0 g and I did 3 ice test on the nickel and it will melt a piece of ice almost instantly.......is this something  that would be highly rare

20210118_224723.jpg

20210118_224707.jpg

Maybe but its passed 2 silver test i think it has some silver content i know it worn and been used hard lol......but even if it was in bad shape if it was really silver it would be valuable 

6 hours ago, Brad adams said:

Maybe but its passed 2 silver test i think it has some silver content i know it worn and been used hard lol......but even if it was in bad shape if it was really silver it would be valuable 

What were the tests, what were the numerical results, who performed the tests?

If you are referring to "ice test" that is useless.

I took it to the jewelry  store and it said it is definitely  silver he did a probe test on it and I have 1964 nickel some silver content and I also have a 1946 D  it is silver also.......

Would you send them in for authentication  

A jewelry store does not qualify as a reliable test location. What were the numerical readings for the coin?

Copper-nickel alloy was never close to silver in any of the mints. That you claim to have other nickels with measurable silver content just reinforces the likely incompetence of the folks doing the measurements. Of course, you might have  coins that were silver plated for jewelry use, but 3 coins is very unlikely.

NGC will make an accurate XRF alloy test for you, but there is an additional charge. Send them a note ans ask, or work with a coin dealer who has a submission account.

Ok ty very I took it to the jewelry  store and it said it is definitely  silver he did a probe test on it and I have 1964 nickel some silver content and I also have a 1946 D  it is silver also.......

Would you send them in for authentication  

It is your call and your money, so have it authenticated if you want.  I personally would not as there is virtually no chance that they are silver.  I would look for someone else to check them, or just forget about it.