• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Only one ??

16 posts in this topic

Well....the number 101 after the dash means that the coin in consideration is the 101st coin in a bulk submission. It does not mean the 100 coins before that had the same grade or error. The seller may be right unless what he says you can do to prove him wrong....find a similar (in the same or higher grade and with the exact error) counterexample.

P.S: The 100th coin in the bulk submission has grade 70. I looked it up, you can too.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2527507-100/70/ 

No die crack on that one.

Careful not to get locked out if you go searching with the NGC Verify Tool, you're only allowed so many and I think if you continually guess wrong you get locked out sooner. I think it's for three days.

53 minutes ago, errorist said:

Proof 70 on a die crack?

I think you are missing the point I tried making in my previous reply.....it is unlikely and not necessary for all coins in a bulk submission to have the same grade or error designation....

Also, in case there is any confusion, I would like to clarify that NGC does not give the highest grade (i.e. 70) to coins with designated mint errors (atleast I have not seen one).

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, 101 just means that this was line 101 in the submission. The other coins may have been other errors or just regular coins. NGC no longer permits more than 50 coins under a single invoice number, so that will be the highest line number going forward.

Wow I have  01-06 with a different proof die crack. Didn't know they could be different. Is there a way to know how many such coins were graded by NGC up until now?? Thanks 

Edited by errorist

I don't believe NGC keeps track of errors/die cracks unless they consider it a variety. Which in this case they wouldn't or at least don't currently. 

Maybe you need to give it a catchy name like 10 Rays... 

26 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't believe NGC keeps track of errors/die cracks unless they consider it a variety. Which in this case they wouldn't or at least don't currently. 

Maybe you need to give it a catchy name like 10 Rays... 

I think they will name it what you want within reason..

31 minutes ago, DWLange said:

Mint errors don't appear within the Census, because their descriptions vary according to the individual coins. The Census requires standardization in descriptions.

Collectors would like to have a sense how many coins are out there for their specific coin graded by various grading companies... :)

On 1/19/2021 at 9:28 AM, DWLange said:

Yes, 101 just means that this was line 101 in the submission. The other coins may have been other errors or just regular coins. NGC no longer permits more than 50 coins under a single invoice number, so that will be the highest line number going forward.

Thanks DW. I believe you helped me with other coins here...

Edited by errorist
Spelling