• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 d penny possible ddo

6 posts in this topic

I found this 1962 D penny 

I think it's a DD0  1962 D penny

Can anyone help me out with this penny 

I know it has doubling in date especially  62  IN GOD We Trust and liberty .

Is there any premium  value here in its condition 

20210117_232433.jpg

20210117_232600.jpg

There does appear to be some thickening of the letters of IGWT but I do not see any signs of doubling on the date just post mint damage.  Same for Liberty the letters look a bit fat but that can most likely be attributed to wear as this coin has seen significant use.  Your coin does not match either of the two known double die examples for this date/mm so getting it recognized as a third would be a monumental task given the condition of the coin.

18 hours ago, Brad adams said:

I think it's a DD0  1962 D penny

What do you see that makes you think this....?

Would i be wrong in saying that that one could have been struck with a new die before it wore down and they polished some of the relief out of it? Or did I miss it all together?  Some of the research I've done showed examples struck with brand new dies. 

It just look like the was doubling just in the left side of the and in the curve on the right and at the bottom  of the 2 looks to me like it was ddo ....

It make just be struck really well on the letter worn down but thank u very much

11 hours ago, Brad adams said:

It just look like the was doubling just in the left side of the and in the curve on the right and at the bottom  of the 2 looks to me like it was ddo ....

It make just be struck really well on the letter worn down but thank u very much

Im no expert myself. Im just in a learning process. Im taking a guess and waiting on the experts to correct me. Ive been studying and reading about different phases in die wear. That one looks like it was struck really well when it was new and wore down by circulation. It could very well be doubling. I cant really tell.  But don't take my guess into consideration because I'm still very new to it all

Edited by Hoghead515