• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full Bands question half dollar
2 2

10 posts in this topic

My son received this in pocket change tonight from a local store. I noticed immediately by the date that it was at least a silver half. I’m trying to learn these designations but was wondering if this may qualify as Full Bands based on these less than spectacular pics?  Thanks. 

E9DB9543-C13F-4274-9432-4428762C9658.jpeg

7531F089-7172-41A6-8851-75F9D601676C.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

My son received this in pocket change tonight from a local store. I noticed immediately by the date that it was at least a silver half. I’m trying to learn these designations but was wondering if this may qualify as Full Bands based on these less than spectacular pics?  Thanks. 

E9DB9543-C13F-4274-9432-4428762C9658.jpeg

7531F089-7172-41A6-8851-75F9D601676C.jpeg

Hello. I think the term you are looking for is FBL or FULL BELL LINES. Full bands is used for dimes. Im not a half dollar guy but if it is anything like the full step nickel designation, I would assume the lines would have to go all the way across with no interruptions. Still a pretty cool piece to get in change, and the pics are really pretty good!

47 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Hello. I think the term you are looking for is FBL or FULL BELL LINES. Full bands is used for dimes. Im not a half dollar guy but if it is anything like the full step nickel designation, I would assume the lines would have to go all the way across with no interruptions. Still a pretty cool piece to get in change, and the pics are really pretty good!

Hey Lem E. Yes.... my correction.... FBL is what I meant to say. FULL BELL LINES..... Poor proofreading on my part before I posted. I’m familiar with full bands (or full torch) on Roosevelt reverses and full steps on Jefferson’s. Just got in a hurry with my post, my apologies. Thanks for the comment about a cool find and my pics. Just seems the lighting in my pics is not always the greatest.... but what can you expect from just using an iPhone and a 10x loupe sometimes... lol  Thanks again. 

Also meant to ask about the different TPG’s and their assessment of FBL’s. I believe I read that one takes both into consideration and the other only recognizes the lower LINES on the bell. Some clarification here would be appreciated. Thanks. 

The more I look at this coin, in addition to doing my own research, the more I am seeing this is not going to be an FBL example. The immediate areas to the left and right sides of the bell crack are distorted enough that it will most likely take it out of the FBL category. Oh well.... maybe next time. 

The coin is a nice EF and the bell lines are well defined, but not entirely full. Still a nice piece of silver for 50-cents. (Remind your son these once circulated as ordinary pocket change.)

28 minutes ago, RWB said:

The coin is a nice EF and the bell lines are well defined, but not entirely full. Still a nice piece of silver for 50-cents. (Remind your son these once circulated as ordinary pocket change.)

Thank you RWB. My three children are always bringing me their pocket change and wondering if they have “anything in there”..... I love it. This is by far the neatest coin I’ve seen from change from a convenience store. Thank you for your reply. 

To answer your above question: In order to be designated Full Bell Lines,  PCGS requires the bottom set of lines to be full, NGC requires it of both top and bottom lines.

Great circulation find! 

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

To answer your above question: In order to be designated Full Bell Lines,  PCGS requires the bottom set of lines to be full, NGC requires it of both top and bottom lines.

Great circulation find! 

Thank you Just Bob. That’s the same info I had read about the bands and thank you for that confirmation. Thank you for the kudos on the find (actually my son found it.... lol). 

Edited by Greg Bradford