• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with identification of a Roman Aureus

18 posts in this topic

I know it’s Augustus but I’m not to familiar with gold roman coins. Can anyone advise if this is an authentic coin? It’s similar to a few silver augustus coins but I cannot find anything on it.

Thank you for any help or if you can point me to any information.

FE92E7C0-73D5-44C5-89D4-488CB4679F34.jpeg

15C48729-4EF1-4C53-B4D7-F80C25A07910.jpeg

Not my area of expertise, but it looks a little too perfect to be real. I could be mistaken, though.

It appears to be a (gold plated?) copy of a gold aureus, but it actually resembles a silver denarius more, in my opinion.

5fbd716aae0094.07769093-original.jpg5fbd716ae67a70.80173916-original.jpg

5fbcf8bc8347f1.93527780-original.jpg5fbcf8bdab76d3.57651367-original.jpg

Personally, I don't like the "looks" of the OP's item and suggest it might be one of thousands of European fakes and imitations made to fill holes in collections. Unless the item is being offered by a reputable seller, and has a guarantee of authenticity, my thought would be to pass.

Id love to get a few ancients to add to my collection but I don't know enough about them. Afraid of getting ripped off. Some are absolutely stunning. Probably one of my favorites is Athenian Owl coins. They made some real pieces of art back in those days. 

10 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Id love to get a few ancients to add to my collection

If you do I recommend any in NGC or PCGS slabs.  As I said, the market is being flooded with counterfeits.  Have a good day.  :angel:

22 minutes ago, JKK said:

Looks suspect. If you want me to dig into it, need weight and diameter (g and mm).

According to the seller, 18mm diameter, 7-8g in weight according to the seller

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Why do some denarii say "AVGVSTVS," and others say "AVGVSTO?"

If you look closely, those that say AVGVSTO say CAESARI first. Aorta lists two known obverse legends that use AVGVSTVO and both have CAESARI. It also lists a reverse legend for CAESARI AVGVSTO. I took a look and can't give you a precise answer, except that CAESARI is the dative in the singular, rather than the nominative plural as some might guess (as I first guessed before deciding to get some good out of this whole library behind me). My guess is that this means Caesar receives the action (as in he is augusted; that is, elevated to majesty). Since the number must agree, the singular augusto is the dative and the ablative; clear as mud. Before I get too far out of my understanding, I'll just guess that this variation of the legend refers to him receiving the honorific of Augustus, and caution loudly that I could be totally wrong.

1 hour ago, masp3392 said:

According to the seller, 18mm diameter, 7-8g in weight according to the seller

Sounds like he copied that rather than weighing the coin. If I were marketing an authentic aureus of Augustus, I'd for sure weigh it out to two decimal places. If you were thinking of buying this, my suggestion is don't. The color looks brassy; the lettering is rather mushy for the era. No like.

When the ablative rubs against the nominative some of it rubs off and it becomes the Latin dative.

One means reception of the title, and the other means this is his title. (I.e..: honorific vs divine name.)   OR.....it might mean you can buy a pizza at Augusto's Rapid Food stall next to the Circus Maximus.

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, JKK said:

Sounds like he copied that rather than weighing the coin. If I were marketing an authentic aureus of Augustus, I'd for sure weigh it out to two decimal places. If you were thinking of buying this, my suggestion is don't. The color looks brassy; the lettering is rather mushy for the era. No like.

7.8g that is my fault.

Added more pictures

C68CDC43-E9FE-47DC-9662-6FE77D61B4E5.jpeg

FF8970FA-B8E8-43AE-AB9C-DA430511F90B.jpeg

ECB245C4-7E48-4A11-A3C0-F153F991F9FE.jpeg

34EB243C-6A1B-4EB1-9DEE-54E3BD549DD2.jpeg

7 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

If you do I recommend any in NGC or PCGS slabs.  As I said, the market is being flooded with counterfeits.  Have a good day.  :angel:

I looked at some on Ebay and there is this one guy on there that all his stuff looks way to good for some reason. No flaws on any of them. And he hasn't sold very many neither as you would think someone that has been dealing in them a long time. Looking at some I know is real that are reputable dealers, their coins have certain little flaws here and there. All his are to perfect. 

According to my references, such aurei are known. I don't think this one is authentic, though. Looks skeevy. My suggestion is don't buy it.

5 hours ago, JKK said:

According to my references, such aurei are known. I don't think this one is authentic, though. Looks skeevy. My suggestion is don't buy it.

Agree.  I'm no expert but it looks 'too good'