• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

West Point Mint

10 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what the West Point U.S. Mint does.  

Clearly, it makes specialty coins, but I have a 2020 proof Jefferson Nickel from that mint.

Will the West Point mint continue to make proof coins of cents, nickels, etc.?  If so, how can one get them directly from the U.S. Mint (I don't see any way to order them on the U.S. Mint's website)?

Thanks!

Mark

Hello. This particular nickel was an add on to the 2020 proof set. This is a pic of how it came. As far as what the mint will do..... you never know.

2E8CAA10-3331-4D09-A052-8957F656AF75.jpeg

They mint bullion coins, burnished Eagles (with the W mint mark), and some commemoratives.  They do special pressing (like the nickel or 2015 March of Dimes dime)  and now circulation coins like the W quarters.  They also have a dandy security force.

The buildings now part of the West Point Mint were originally constructed as the government silver repository, much like the Ft. Knox facility was the gold repository. Details and photos of the original facility and updates (plus Ft. Knox) are in the book From Mine to Mint, Seneca Mill Press LLC, 2013 written by the present writer.

7 hours ago, RWB said:

Well.....they march around a lot, and have coffee. Sometimes they go hiking to locate new sources of gold and silver, then they pound the gold dust into planchets, and strike coins on them. Occasionally they climb to the roof and shoot clay pigeons -- or even real ones.

You can check the US Mint's web site for more information.....No, they do not have tours or give out samples.

;)

I need me a job there

20 hours ago, RWB said:

Well.....they march around a lot, and have coffee. Sometimes they go hiking to locate new sources of gold and silver, then they pound the gold dust into planchets, and strike coins on them. Occasionally they climb to the roof and shoot clay pigeons -- or even real ones.

You can check the US Mint's web site for more information.....No, they do not have tours or give out samples.

;)

Halfway decent football team too, if you like the running game.