• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1879 Morgan

10 posts in this topic

The Obverse of my 79 was very horribly cloudy, just like you would see when looking at clouds, and has Orange tinge in the corners and hair like it was previously toned.

The Reverse is absolutely fine.

I soaked it in Acetone for 2 days, left it on my window sill for one day and put it back in Acetone for another day. I blew it off with air and

a 25% Improvement. Now it just looks hoaky and fake. Some of the luster & shine is peeking out of the cloudiness where the Acetone did it's job. 

I was thinking about wholesaling this one out of a flip and letting go. 

Should I keep it in the Drink and keep going ?

image (10).jpg

image (11).jpg

Edited by NevadaS&G

It would probably cost more to have NGC Conserve it than the coin is actually worth, & I cant send it in for grading for fear of a body bag, I sure do hate coins like these, but the price

was right and I jumped on it

Edited by NevadaS&G

I would make a suggestion and it is only that. Since you like the coin and want to enhance the appearance. I have used Tarnex Jewelry dip with some success. The effect is rapid and sometimes difficult to detect the cleaning.. If you want to get it graded it will more than likely come back " cleaned". Attempting this dip would only be to benefit your preference for eye appeal. It still will appear cleaned  but shiny. This appears to be a nice detailed coin and I am not sure I would try it with this particular coin. My opinion is that even when a coin goes to NGC Conserve collectors know that the coin has in fact been cleaned professionally. Please don't take this suggestion as a way to do the unthinkable which is cleaning a beautiful coin.

12 minutes ago, Ray, USMC said:

I would make a suggestion and it is only that. Since you like the coin and want to enhance the appearance. I have used Tarnex Jewelry dip with some success. The effect is rapid and sometimes difficult to detect the cleaning.. If you want to get it graded it will more than likely come back " cleaned". Attempting this dip would only be to benefit your preference for eye appeal. It still will appear cleaned  but shiny. This appears to be a nice detailed coin and I am not sure I would try it with this particular coin. My opinion is that even when a coin goes to NGC Conserve collectors know that the coin has in fact been cleaned professionally. Please don't take this suggestion as a way to do the unthinkable which is cleaning a beautiful coin.

My 79 has PVC damage, thanks for the tip. I've seen this same PVC damage on a previous coin I had. Strange that it's only on One side. 

I'm gonna steer clear from the Dips for now 

26 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Ah, The voice of Reason strikes again.

Well, acetone has done all it can do, and the obverse photo shows a lot of "crud" remaining. You could always keep experimenting with this coin recognizing that's it's already "a dead horse," and also have the pleasure of searching for a nicer example at a good price....Just a thought or two.

Edited by RWB