• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin shows
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am just getting back into collecting after a few years off.  I have a very focused interest in Lithuanian coins 1925 - 1938.  Driving from North Carolina do you think the Rosemont,  Chicago show or NYC coin show would be better option.  Chicago has a strong Lithuanian presence In  Chicago but  NYC show seems huge and perhaps more focused on world coins.  I have free accomodations at NYC show.  Thanks for your input.

Hm, either show is a lot of fun and worthy of a visit.  Not sure which would have more material you are looking for though.  Free lodging will save a good bit of coin money.  In my case (SWVA) it's a lot easier and less costly to get to NY, but I take the train.  Had fun at both shows, but if I could only go to one it'd be NYINC.  Purely on personal preference and has a lot to do with social aspects.  And seriously, Amtrak makes it super easy, though not sure where you are in NC to make a difference.  

Edited to add:  NYINC is cancelled this year so it may be a moot point.

Edited by Star City Homer

I was looking at Rosemont in August or 2022 NYC.  SAVING $ 500 For lodging plus food is big.  I am not far from you just outside Roanoke Rapids.  Just off 95 on VA border.  

Chicago also has Lithuanian museum and other cultural venues .y wife would like. Is is a trip in our future. 

17 hours ago, joeyuk said:

I was looking at Rosemont in August or 2022 NYC.  SAVING $ 500 For lodging plus food is big.  I am not far from you just outside Roanoke Rapids.  Just off 95 on VA border.  

Chicago also has Lithuanian museum and other cultural venues .y wife would like. Is is a trip in our future. 

I'm closer to Roanoke than Roanoke Rapids :D.  Shoot, I'm closer to Richmond.  Sounds like Chicago has a big draw outside of the show too, that sounds very appealing.  The NYINC is in the heart of NY and fun (if chilly).  Rosemont is not.  Had to take a long shuttle IIRC from the train station to the venue.  Well, either show is great.  And 2022 sounds much wiser.

On 1/10/2021 at 4:28 PM, joeyuk said:

Rosemont will have a nice world coins presence, guaranteed. If you want a nice scenic experience getting there, Amtrak’s Capitol Limited is a nice hop to Chicago from Washington and a good value. Even the coach seats are very comfy, but the roomettes are even nicer.

Once you get to Union Station in Chicago, either take Metra to Rosemont, or the CTA Blue Line (station about a block away) to Rosemont. Lots of affordable hotels, many cheaper ones just one CTA stop closer to downtown. 

Rosemont in August would be the annual ANA show wouldn't it?  There used to be an International Show in Rosemont (CICF) but that is gone now.

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Rosemont in August would be the annual ANA show wouldn't it?  There used to be an International Show in Rosemont (CICF) but that is gone now.

It is the summer ANA show.

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Didn’t they also do Schaumburg, IL for that one? Other side of O’Hare. Rosemont has a lot of fun stuff for off hours. The Big 10 HQ is right there, one of those indoor skydiving places, beaucoup good restaurants, and even outdoor concerts.

Edited by VKurtB

CICF never did Schaumburg, Central States does their big show in Schaumburg.  They did it a Rosemont for awhile and then moved to Schaumburg.  CICF did do there show in downtown Chicago for a long time before moving out to Rosemant.  Harlan Berk did an international show in downtown Chicago for two years.  The first one was going to directly compete with CICF and that may have been what caused CICF to give it up.  But Harlan's first show wasn't that great and it bombed the second year and folded.  At least that was the reports I heard.  I didn't attend them.  I wasn't going to go back into downtown Chicago again