• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 P nickel magnetic!

26 posts in this topic

Nickel is in fact attracted to magnets, but only in strong concentration or in combination with another metal that magnets draw, such as iron. (Our Cu/Ni coins do not contain enough Ni for that.) Take an older Canadian nickel sometime (solid Ni) and run a magnet over it. I surprised a coin dealer who did not know this; expecting to make a fool of me, he took out a big magnet and dunked into a small bucket of Canadian nickels. Probably a hundred or more stuck to it.

As for why your 35% Ag 43-P nickel seems to adhere to a magnet, that I do not know.

Edited by JKK

That particular nickel should have silver in it. Note the mintmark over the dome. Thats a war nickel. Roughly 35% silver.

11 minutes ago, JKK said:

Nickel is in fact attracted to magnets, but only in strong concentration or in combination with another metal that magnets draw, such as iron. (Our Cu/Ni coins do not contain enough Ni for that.) Take an older Canadian nickel sometime (solid Ni) and run a magnet over it. I surprised a coin deal who did not know this; expecting to make a fool of me, he took out a big magnet and dunked into a small bucket of Canadian nickels. Probably a hundred or more stuck to it.

As for why your 35% Ag 43-P nickel seems to adhere to a magnet, that I do not know.

Sorry JKK. Your post wasn’t there when I started typing. I type kinda slow.

Like I said I took it to metal lab to do X-ray and doesn’t have silver! Am new on this so I really appreciate your opinion! I also weighted and is normal!!

ok no silver what did the x-ray gun say it was made of 

No alloy used for US 5-cent pieces should be attracted to a normal magnet. Color balance in the first photo seems normal and the coin does not have the typical tone of a wartime Cu-Ag-Mn alloy. It might have been struck on a foreign planchet, but one would need to check the various Philadelphia Mint production schedules

Paramagnetic atoms - atoms with an unpaired electron (one orbital has a net spin) - are slightly attracted to a magnetic field. A strong rare earth will attract certain paramagnetic alloys.

As B.C asked - what were the ERF readings and the margin of error (post calibration)?

Edited by RWB

Manganese literally means magnet 

im familiar with the magnets op is using notice I made it plural took a whole stack of them to get it to hold long enough for a photo 

I'm wondering if at some time it wasn't plated with something? Also, if the xray was completely accurate, it would be very helpful if we knew what metals it detected. 

Edited by bsshog40

10 hours ago, B.C said:

Manganese literally means magnet 

I'm familiar with the magnets op is using; notice I made it plural; took a whole stack of them to get it to hold long enough for a photo 

So, you're suggesting that by stacking 5 or 6 rare earth magnets, the field is strong enough to hold a normal wartime nickel?

The XRF results would be interesting...provided the system were correctly calibrated. I would not rely on anything done by a jeweler or coin dealer.

38 minutes ago, Juanda7777 said:

Well this one is magnetic with any magnet! Am going to a place tomorrow so they can tell me content! I hope doesn’t cost s lot!

I thought you had already taken this to an x-ray lab?? You're starting to get a little inconsistent here. 

Just now, Juanda7777 said:

Yes I did! But they just said No silver in it! I didn’t got the results and read the content.! So am going back tomorrow to get results! 

Based on multiple posts you have made, it appears that you’re wishing and looking for riches in coins. A great many coins are different for one reason or another, but that doesn’t necessarily make them rare or valuable. If currently valuable coins were common and easy to locate, they wouldn’t be valuable, anymore.

Have fun in your search, but don’t waste your money, spending it on hopes and dreams. 

1 minute ago, MarkFeld said:

Based on multiple posts you have made, it appears that you’re wishing and looking for riches in coins. A great many coins are different for one reason or another, but that doesn’t necessarily make them rare or valuable. If currently valuable coins were common and easy to locate, they wouldn’t be valuable, anymore.

Have fun in your search, but don’t waste your money, spending it on hopes and dreams. 

That’s the reason why am asking for opinions from people who knows more than me. I want to make sure  that the coins I keep for my collection are unique otherwise is no fun for this! and want to be sure they are and if I have to pay a X-ray to make sure I will! Am not roll hunting to get money! But thanks for you opinion. Am just learning and love looking for coins!

Members cannot offer meaningful opinions without full and accurate information. So far, that is either missing or questionable.

16 hours ago, RWB said:

So, you're suggesting that by stacking 5 or 6 rare earth magnets, the field is strong enough to hold a normal wartime nickel?

Not exactly I was thinking the ops coin was not normal but rather one of the many examples of a poorly mixed alloy if the .4 grams of manganese is concentrated or near the surface a strong enough magnet will have a light attraction 

7 hours ago, B.C said:

Not exactly I was thinking the ops coin was not normal but rather one of the many examples of a poorly mixed alloy if the .4 grams of manganese is concentrated or near the surface a strong enough magnet will have a light attraction

OK. Understood. Interesting to see the XRF results.

There was a span of 4 months between end of CuNi alloy and beginning of CuAgMn alloy.

On 1/10/2021 at 4:23 PM, RWB said:

Members cannot offer meaningful opinions without full and accurate information. So far, that is either missing or questionable.

I have the appointment for Thursday! I cant wait ! Whatever metal is I want to double confirm! Thank you all for opinions!! Been helpful!!

1 hour ago, Juanda7777 said:

I have the appointment for Thursday! I cant wait ! Whatever metal is I want to double confirm! Thank you all for opinions!! Been helpful!!

After the results, then you can decide what to do based on data not speculation. It would be great if you have something unusual !

55 minutes ago, RWB said:

After the results, then you can decide what to do based on data not speculation. It would be great if you have something unusual !

I know! I to be rare is have to be non silver right?

1 hour ago, Juanda7777 said:

I know! I to be rare is have to be non silver right?

Let's understand the elemental analysis first. There are multiple possibilities after you have the data - they will help focus the options. (I have the data from US Mint experiments, which might, or might not be relevant.)

Edited by RWB

On 1/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, Juanda7777 said:

Like I said I took it to metal lab to do X-ray and doesn’t have silver!

So what does it have?

I suspect it has been nickel plated (the reason it is magnetic), and the x-ray reading was a surface reading that didn't detect any silver but probably showed a high nickel content.