• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my submissions back today 😀

16 posts in this topic

Though it is bitter sweet I got my subs back today, my 1876 trade dollar came back as altered surfaces. I’m happy it’s a type 2/2 though.which is extremely rare. I Put it under a scope and found some green slime in between the dentils so I am assuming that’s why it came back altered. 

AEE97D38-0D81-4FE9-920E-232D538D49EE.jpeg

Edited by KyCoinKollektor

6 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I'm not sure if green slime would be considered altered surfaces. The coin looks to have been polished which would make more sense to me. JMO

I seen on NGC website they consider green slime to be an altered surface due to the fact they cannot see what lies beneath the obstruction. I got the green slime off now I’m gonna send it to pcgs and at least if it still comes back altered it will be slabbed.

Edited by KyCoinKollektor

Did they give you the option to send it to NCS?  humm i don't think it matters she is a good looking coin. Have it slabbed and be be proud of it as a nice coinn.

I'm still thinking the conservation route.  that green stuff may be old PVC from a flip??  maybe.

4 minutes ago, JT2 said:

I'm still thinking the conservation route.  that green stuff may be old PVC from a flip??  maybe.

If it were PVC, they should (and like would) have stated so, rather than calling it “altered surfaces”. The same goes for cleaning/polishing.

11 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

If it were PVC, they should (and like would) have stated so, rather than calling it “altered surfaces”. The same goes for cleaning/polishing.

You have more experience than most in this area. What, in your opinion, would be the likely reason(s) for the "altered surfaces" label?

11 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

You have more experience than most in this area. What, in your opinion, would be the likely reason(s) for the "altered surfaces" label?

Below is what I saw on the NGC site, but it’s quite vague. I believe that the designation would include the addition of substances to the surface of a coin, in order to hide flaws.

“A similar notation, “Altered Surfaces,” indicates a coin whose surfaces have been deceptively altered (for example, a “Mint State” coin is made to resemble a “Proof” coin). Coins with altered surface will be returned raw and the full grading fee will apply.”

3 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:Perhaps you had some Cheeto Orange on the coin which would render it not the President as stated in this Article.

That has nothing to do with silver coins, such as the one in this thread.

1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

That has nothing to do with silver coins, such as the one in this thread.

I just found the Cheetos Color funny as if certain people have disdain for it and its plausible that KyCoinKollektor was eating cheetos while handling the coin.

Edited by NevadaS&G

It might relate to possible smoothing of high points on the left leg, left arm, breast, headdress and hand, etc. These appear in the obv photo when the image is manipulated. Faint, but discernible. Cannot be sure because the image is out of focus and sharpening does not actually change the actual pixel distribution.

Edited by RWB

37 minutes ago, Lancek said:

Agree, green slime would not lead to "altered surface". That designation is for something that someone has done to the coin on purpose.  Could it be whizzed?  That would explain the shiny polished appearance.  But might be hard to see in a pic.  Might have been done long enough ago that it is starting to re-tone.

If NGC thought the coin had been whizzed, they almost certainly would have indicated that, instead.

See here: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7552/learn-grading-details-grading/

Edited by MarkFeld