Fun SF Mint Video

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This was produced a few years ago by the local SF PBS station. It shows the SFM making modern US coins and also has a brief view from the 1930s of the SFM making coins for China.

14 minutes ago, DWLange said:

This was produced a few years ago by the local SF PBS station. It shows the SFM making modern US coins and also has a brief view from the 1930s of the SFM making coins for China.

Awsome video Mr Lange. Thank you for sharing it with us. Its very informative. 

28 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Cool video David, thanks for sharing.

Here's the 2006 SF Mint Commemorative to the Old Mint "The Granite Lady". 

2006 SF MInt Comm.jpg

Beautiful coin. I love how they used the Morgan dollar reverse. I might have to try and find one of those. 

32 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hadn't seen that one before. 

Any reason, other than the natural topography, why the building is elevated above the other surrounding buildings? Sticks out like a sore thumb. 

That was a question I was thinking as well. Maybe some saftey or security reason perhaps?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That piece of land was known as Clinton Mound and had been the site of a refugee camp following the 1906 earthquake and fire. It was considered undesirable for development, as the hill was very rocky and would have cost a lot of money to clear. Those very qualities made it ideal for a mint, since the rocky foundation was essentially tunnel-proof. The SF Public Library has a wonderful collection of construction and early operational photos. Here's just a sample of before and during construction:

Clinton Mound (Now Mint Hill) Refugee Camp_1906.jpg

Site Of New U. S. Mint Building_1934.jpg

Crowd Watching Construction, Shortly after Ground Breaking_082135.jpg

Construction Of U. S. Mint Building At Market, Buchanan And Duboce_1935.jpg

Thank you. I love those old historical photographs and the stories behind them. A person can almost put himself there. Wearing one those old hats and the old mustaches with the curls on the ends. I always was a history person.