• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun SF Mint Video

18 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, DWLange said:

This was produced a few years ago by the local SF PBS station. It shows the SFM making modern US coins and also has a brief view from the 1930s of the SFM making coins for China.

Awsome video Mr Lange. Thank you for sharing it with us. Its very informative. 

28 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Cool video David, thanks for sharing.

Here's the 2006 SF Mint Commemorative to the Old Mint "The Granite Lady". 

2006 SF MInt Comm.jpg

Beautiful coin. I love how they used the Morgan dollar reverse. I might have to try and find one of those. 

32 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hadn't seen that one before. 

Any reason, other than the natural topography, why the building is elevated above the other surrounding buildings? Sticks out like a sore thumb. 

That was a question I was thinking as well. Maybe some saftey or security reason perhaps?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That piece of land was known as Clinton Mound and had been the site of a refugee camp following the 1906 earthquake and fire. It was considered undesirable for development, as the hill was very rocky and would have cost a lot of money to clear. Those very qualities made it ideal for a mint, since the rocky foundation was essentially tunnel-proof. The SF Public Library has a wonderful collection of construction and early operational photos. Here's just a sample of before and during construction:

Clinton Mound (Now Mint Hill) Refugee Camp_1906.jpg

Site Of New U. S. Mint Building_1934.jpg

Crowd Watching Construction, Shortly after Ground Breaking_082135.jpg

Construction Of U. S. Mint Building At Market, Buchanan And Duboce_1935.jpg

Thank you. I love those old historical photographs and the stories behind them. A person can almost put himself there. Wearing one those old hats and the old mustaches with the curls on the ends. I always was a history person. 

Just seeing this for the first time, and have a few immediate takeaways...

1.  Only the first SF Mint was officially designated a "branch" Mint.  The 2nd was referred to as the "Old Mint." The third and final building has its name engraved on its facade: UNITED STATES MINT.

2.  There are signs displayed above work stations indicating the specific coins being minted.  Tellingly, despite all the discussions on the Forum, the sign above one reads PENNIES not CENTS.

3.  Not at all surprising that San Franciscans would be unaware of what that fortress on the hill is. I seriously doubt most people who live and work around Federal Reserve Banks know what they are. And your average American is generally unaware of where their money comes from. Whether loose change or currency, they don't know and have never given it a thought...  Great video; highly informative. Thanks for sharing it. 👍

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I grew up just a few miles from the SFM and went frequently to the Old SF Mint Museum, the neo-classical building shown in the video. It was open to the public from 1973 to 1994, and I used to cherrypick my proof sets and other coins each year from its gift shop. I later researched my earliest books there in its magnificent library.

As noted in the video, the current SFM is not open to the public, but I had a coin club friend who worked there as senior die setter. I was able to attend several first strike ceremonies, most memorably that for the proof silver eagles in 1986. I still have the press kit that was distributed as a souvenir, but sadly I did not get to strike and purchase my own coin; I was too low on the totem pole at that time.

When my friend retired the following year, he took me and my father on a private tour of the entire facility. At that time the unsold 1982-S Washington Half Dollars were being destroyed, but they first had to be removed from their plastic capsules. This was achieved by running the encapsulated coins through an upsetting mill, which is normally used to give the blanks a raised rim. This shattered the plastic and sent it flying in all directions, so protective clothing and eyewear was required. I was astonished at the sight of a tote bin filled with liberated but highly scuffed proof coins and another right next to it filled with plastic shards.

13 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Love the story about the Washington halves.  That's a new one to me.  But it makes sense.

That story “upsets” me. Yes, I did, I went there.

Great film clip.  I have had the privilege of visiting the granite Lady a few times and it’s always been an interesting visit.

Thanks for sharing 

On 6/23/2021 at 4:06 AM, Conder101 said:

Tiny correction in the video, the last S mint coins for circulation were made in 1980 not 1974.

… but not “circulation quality”. That just ended again. The S ATB quarters.

I didn't include them because they weren't made for circulation.  The last S mint coin for circulation was the 1980 S SBA dollar.  Didn't include the 1981 S dollar for the same reason.