• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983-D penny is this rare?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

looks like wishing well junk :(  too bad you cant even get a gum ball with these anymore :(   put them in the need a penny take a penny jar!

A lot of bad things happen to one-cent coins. These two seem to have had a hard life in a convenience store parking lot.

Why would the original poster think they might be valuable?

5 hours ago, RWB said:

A lot of bad things happen to one-cent coins. These two seem to have had a hard life in a convenience store parking lot.

Why would the original poster think they might be valuable?

Why do any of the hundreds who post similar questions on this very site?

Hey Guys,

My  apologize for the first image that l have post, tried my best to take a better picture for better interpretation according to looks of the coin, for me the coin is not damaged l those are part of the design. 

thanks

1FD447F9-16D3-4EF7-9A74-2333A8E233E4.jpeg

73822147-4ACB-4109-B975-BB230D659671.jpeg

00C00B25-A2CC-4437-820D-7DB1431D73FC.jpeg

I would hate to see what you consider a damaged coin. The reverse edge of the coin looks like it has had another coin with a reeded edge pressed against it. Not part of the design. The rim has big chunks missing. Also not part of the design. The obverse is simply a dumpster fire. I would move on from this one. Shouldn’t be hard for you to upgrade.

My  apologize for the first image that l have post, tried my best to take a better picture for better interpretation according to looks of the coin, for me the coin is not damaged l those are part of the design. 

Again, the new pictures do not change the fact it is damage. If it was part of the design, then that would mean it would have to be on the striking die in which case there would be about a million of them out there. I would think that it would have been noticed by now.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the comments, l really appreciate, l know lm very new of doing this, l don't have that much information about coin grading thats why l tried to post on this site or even to other site just to get more ideas  and might get answer those things l have posted, but moving on with out a clear answer is for me a big mistakes, my perspective of small things and bigthings are equal, both things can help so l don't leave anything that l have ?so what makes me posted is  for those coins that l have actually l have few of those but different circumstances,  all are sculpted  l just saw a similar coin to othersite and l have attached but that is not sculpted like the one l have, but similar patterns when you look at the image, or mine was get discolouration but if that the case might need to send to NCS, honestly that coin was very tough and not that easy to get scratch or leave scratch on it and even poke using a knife it won't go thru, so im assuming its a brass  or some type of a brass

8B76CE2E-EE9F-4461-83BD-32654422E8A2.jpeg

Hi Greenstang,

Thats why l posted this so l can get more ideas about my coin, but if you stand to your  words thats fine, maybe your right according to the image, but if you personally see this coin i can show u even l will use a steel wall or sand paper that coin wont leave any scratch 

And lf im not mistaken this was the original design or striking or part of procedure before moving to a finishing or cameout to final looks which is the one l posted with color the one l have was 2.5g but it might end up to 3.1 on finished product, lm not sure but l can guarantee that the coin that l have was a hard type of metal, I know when it comes to look that coin it would keep ignoring by us with no question but if you look with curriosity or trying to find out whats going on to that coin asking what and why seems damage the discovery was there , sorry but most coin that l have was my legacy so l don't think those are just a coin and also those l had collected since l was young 

Well I'm only gonna say it also. Your coin is damaged. No way it was minted like that. You say this is not the only place that you showed this cent to. Did you receive the same answers there? 

It is a little hard to understand your post, but coins are not moved to finishing.  They are struck by the dies, ejected and they are done.  Your coin and the other 1983 that you pictured are damaged, nothing else.  We were all new to this once, just take some time to study and understand the minting process.  You will soon be able to see that there is no way this could have happened at the mint.

I know its hard to understand if we base by the image and also to explain to on my side  specially to say the exact or right term, assuming that is at is and let say the coin got deteriorated is my question is that considered damage or you guys justified damage base on the scratch? But any way l don't think l will got the answer from anyone about the sculpted , again that is not scratch, like I've said even used of rough sand paper the coin wont get scratch, well even my self l can't believe when l tried, l can take a video but im not gonna show, ill just bring this coin personally so might get answer to all questions.. thanks anyway!

And also this coin this was the second image, i'm pretty sure if you base by the image our judgement was damage, but for me i'll wait till l bring it in person to the expert...  for me those are amazing coins somewords and numbers written in every also a date on that coin6AB90038-5F63-4BC6-B146-3B02F6E1A12C.thumb.jpeg.dedc698f12bdf539264c90b108f1d79a.jpeg

5E74DC04-FEB5-4BBD-A8BB-5690ED12FF76.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Cresencio said:

I know its hard to understand if we base by the image and also to explain to on my side  specially to say the exact or right term, assuming that is at is and let say the coin got deteriorated is my question is that considered damage or you guys justified damage base on the scratch? But any way l don't think l will got the answer from anyone about the sculpted , again that is not scratch, like I've said even used of rough sand paper the coin wont get scratch, well even my self l can't believe when l tried, l can take a video but im not gonna show, ill just bring this coin personally so might get answer to all questions.. thanks anyway!

It sounds like you need to take this cent of yours to a local coin dealer. You are not accepting any answers here, so no reason to continue this thread. Take it to someone that will tell you exactly what it is! GOODBYE!

Looks like the coin has been thrown out into a parking lot and layed for a long time. And run over and dragged on pavement or gravel. And stomped by people walking in and out of stores or whatever. And exposed to the elements. Then someone spotted it and picked it up and put it back into circulation. If u ever pick very many up out of parking lots alot of them look like that. Unless you pick them up when they are freshly dropped. But if they lay a long time they get lots of abrasion and damage. Ive found hundreds over the years like that laying in parking lots.  But we have alot of gravel driveways where I live. 

Haha, my friend don't underestimate that coin, the outer looks nonsense but if you are curious and examine by using ur mgnifying glass l don't think u thrown that away, those coins are very significance, if you understand  the interpretation base on every detail  that so called scratched  or damaged,  l hope were not just collecting them to make us rich, l hope we also give attention base on the story inside to every coin  , l will give u a clue look those image and think about the assasination plot of abraham lincoln, everything was there thats the circumstances,. Those coins deserves respect no matter how it looks like even  though he can't make u rich,that coin might not give you everything  but you will learn from those coin.,

BB4845F3-B666-4C5B-94DB-8552A1156257.jpeg

4114B8AA-44D3-4F31-BC5C-3BE49CCBFD69.jpeg

Hope everyone now understand that coin was not just damaged, l honestly don't have much knowledge and just starded doing this but  l know how to give value in everything what ever my eyes can see, thats why l found them somewhere in the streets,  well l got few actually  but lm not gonna revealed them coz l think no body likes damage coin so ill just keep them

102F155D-46BD-4CD9-B4DD-820ADB83ED20.jpeg

43ECB9CC-7F27-45A7-9B5F-A8A79458EA81.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Cresencio said:

Haha, my friend don't underestimate that coin, the outer looks nonsense but if you are curious and examine by using ur mgnifying glass l don't think u thrown that away, those coins are very significance, if you understand  the interpretation base on every detail  that so called scratched  or damaged,  l hope were not just collecting them to make us rich, l hope we also give attention base on the story inside to every coin  , l will give u a clue look those image and think about the assasination plot of abraham lincoln, everything was there thats the circumstances,. Those coins deserves respect no matter how it looks like even  though he can't make u rich,that coin might not give you everything  but you will learn from those coin.,

BB4845F3-B666-4C5B-94DB-8552A1156257.jpeg

4114B8AA-44D3-4F31-BC5C-3BE49CCBFD69.jpeg

Maybe you should put your little tin hat back on and search for more cents in the street!

If its not damage from laying in the streets then its some kind of crude graffiti someone has scratched into it which is also just damage. They did not do that at the mint in no kind of way shape or form. Its a junk cent thats noone would want to pay another cent for it.