• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you all call this coin
1 1

26 posts in this topic

A fuzzy, ordinary mirror-like proof coin. There's no contrast between field and relief, so it cannot be a "cameo" of any description.

Well I still can't determine condition from the new pics but I can determine that it doesn't have any cameo. The reflective areas indicate no cameo. 

The reason I asked is I know the difference it I seen this one on pcgs app and there is no contrast difference between the fields and devices, which made me question what the heck I’ll ask. Can u all maybe explain why this one was deemed scam?

DCCDD001-C574-49FF-B527-5029DADBB84F.png

Although the picture does not show it clearly, the devices on the PCGS coin are apparently frosted enough to merit the Deep Cameo designation. A different angle of photography would probably show it better.

23 hours ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

The reason I asked is I know the difference it I seen this one on pcgs app and there is no contrast difference between the fields and devices, which made me question what the heck I’ll ask. Can u all maybe explain why this one was deemed scam?

It is literally the finest known with no peer.

Just now, KyCoinKollektor said:

No peer?

None even tied for finest known. That’s what “Populatio 1” and “Pop Higher 0” means. 

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

None even tied for finest known. That’s what “Populatio 1” and “Pop Higher 0” means. 

I know def. of population I’ve just never heard of the term peer. Ty for teaching me something 

1 minute ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

I know def. of population I’ve just never heard of the term peer. Ty for teaching me something 

It’s not a numismatic term, just an English one.

Properly photographing cameo and superlative cameo coins (ultra or deep) is a fairly difficult thing. It is clear to me that PCGS put no effort into photographing that PF69DCAM example. The best photographer I’ve ever seen for these pups is Rick Tomaska. The trick is to keep the axis of the shot completely dark, to minimize on-axis reflections, while lighting the devices from multiple sides.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, KyCoinKollektor said:

This is another pic of the coin that you are showing here. PCGS # 95991

1959 PCGS.jpg

Edited by bsshog40

On 1/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, VKurtB said:

It is literally the finest known with no peer.

No known peer until every '59 flat-box has been opened and examined.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

No known peer until every '59 flat-box has been opened and examined.

Flat box? Is that anywhere near Flatbush? (: I figure the qualifier finest known is sufficient to make the point.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Flat box? Is that anywhere near Flatbush? (: I figure the qualifier finest known is sufficient to make the point.

[I defer to my peer and do so politely.]

On 1/6/2021 at 6:44 AM, JT2 said:

That's a good looking high grade brilliant proof.  she a keeper.

While it might be a high grade example, there’s no way to know if that’s the case, based on those pictures. And the same goes for most pictures of Proof coins. Because far more times than not, the extent of hairlines determines the grade of Proof coins and pictures rarely show that.