• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does ebay actually do anything to bad sellers??

20 posts in this topic

i have been looking at some coins that i deem very suspect from one seller.  after reviewing all the bid histories of the higher end items it appears the seller has multiple schill bidders that simply bid on his auctions and nobody elses.  the bidder/seller ratios are 100%, 92%, 85% with hundreds of bids on hundreds of auctions/   i think this activity ruins things for people like me who want to fairly bid and buy coins.  does ebay actually do anything.  it says on their site dont bother to report it because they already got this???  really??

Sometimes they take action, other times not. I frequently report counterfeits and fraudulent listings, but it’s a never ending, (largely) losing battle.

Please report and cross your fingers.

13 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Sometimes they take action, other times not. I frequently report counterfeits and fraudulent listings, but it’s a never ending, (largely) losing battle.

Please report and cross your fingers.

yeah i reported but like you said who knows what they will do.  this seller has a long history of alleged bad practices (to put it nicely) via google search (20 years worth) and many ebay complaints but still selling away.  I would be willing to wager that you already know of the person with your experience.  it just pisses me off that people can get away with such obvious bad behavior.  and i ONLY buy off ebay, so it really pisses me off.  he is the proud owner of the 1826 dime i posted earlier.  SAD!

10 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

yeah i reported but like you said who knows what they will do.  this seller has a long history of alleged bad practices (to put it nicely) via google search (20 years worth) and many ebay complaints but still selling away.  I would be willing to wager that you already know of the person with your experience.  it just pisses me off that people can get away with such obvious bad behavior.  and i ONLY buy off ebay, so it really pisses me off.  he is the proud owner of the 1826 dime i posted earlier.  SAD!

If you meant an 1829 dime, I know of whom you’re speaking.

1 minute ago, MarkFeld said:

If you meant an 1829 dime, I know of whom you’re speaking.

yeah thats the one,  im not sure how he has it set up but he has multiple (like 10 or more?) bidders that are bidding on almost EVERY one of his listings.  if ebay doesnt do anything im gonna call them tomorrow   major going on   

1895-O morgan listing ending in several minutes bid bid bid bid bid bid bid choice unc??

9 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

yeah thats the one,  im not sure how he has it set up but he has multiple (like 10 or more?) bidders that are bidding on almost EVERY one of his listings.  if ebay doesnt do anything im gonna call them tomorrow   major going on   

1895-O morgan listing ending in several minutes bid bid bid bid bid bid bid choice unc??

I’ve heard similar thoughts from others over the years. I don’t know whether they ended up providing EBay with specifics.

I noticed that about a seller who was running up bids on his also. People complained about it in the feedback and he admitted to it. Said he was allowed to do that. I didn't think you was allowed. I cant remember his name but if I ever find it ill share it on here. 

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I noticed that about a seller who was running up bids on his also. People complained about it in the feedback and he admitted to it. Said he was allowed to do that. I didn't think you was allowed. I cant remember his name but if I ever find it ill share it on here. 

Shill bidding isn't allowed and they can permaban people for it.

The best weapon against bad sellers is to give them negative feedback. In most areas, anything less than 99.5% positive and I steer clear. Not that it's not inflated; it seriously is. But if there is negative feedback, I read it, and I also look to see how they respond to it. If they're smart, they avoid mudslinging. If they pitch a b-word fit, repeatedly, that suggests to me that they're probably part of the problem. It also means I'm probably not buying from them. I would not neg anyone casually, but bad sellers should be negged hard and often.

12 hours ago, JKK said:

Shill bidding isn't allowed and they can permaban people for it.

EBay bans them today and they are right back tomorrow with a new ID.  Sorry to be so negative but it's almost impossible to get rid of the crooks.  :sumo:

Well stated @JKK

As for reporting and what eBay will do I don't have much insight.  I know there's times I'll go through and report each listing that has NGC/PCGS in the item details when it's a raw coin but that hasn't stopped ArlingtonCoins or others from listing them.  I don't mind if it's search manipulation and it's limited to the title of the listing but when a seller puts it in the item details then that affects the filters.  Generally I only bother with a watchdog move like that when I have a listing in said category of world or minor coins where the population of actual encapsulated items is a small percentage of the market.

Devil's Advocate for potential shill bidders.  There's seller tools for distribution lists and marketing emails.  It's possible that these same bidders all receive the weekly marketing email and are interested in the items up for auction.  If they're similar type coins I could see that.  If they're different coin types with the same bidders then it'd get a little more questionable.

I sell sports cards and I don't even estimate a grade. I've seen how little faith I should put in most sellers' card grading. All my listings are very clear, as part of the boilerplate, that no given grade is guaranteed or implied. Instead I give them two good photos, the kind of description you'd expect from a numismatist who also collected cards, and let them make up their own minds. If I graded them myself, I'd be wide open to all sorts of the same complaints I have so often had valid grounds to make as a buyer (though I usually just blacklist rather than neg them). I sell fewer cards than most people would, but I get no complaints.

Let's assume that shill bidding raises the final price and doesn't just replace other legitimate bids that would have been placed. What is the incentive to stop it when eBay takes a percentage of the sale price? 

eBay won't even touch blatant counterfeit sellers. Check out the Medieval coin section. There are a handful of sellers that sell nothing but counterfeits. They've been reported numerous times by several people, yet no action taken. 

Ebenezer is the fresh-hell-of-the-month club for me. If there were a more effective platform I'd use it. I'm convinced they've got a PHB there somewhere who just motors around the cubicles thinking up random ways to make the UI more rectacular, or add some other pain in the nalgas to make it more painful and less profitable.

Ebay is a strange place, I can't understand the amount of buyers I've seen buying 1 Ounce Gold Buffalos on ebay from sellers with (11) feedback and one recent Red Strike on their feedback. 

It must be some money making scam that I don't understand. A few months ago I found countless low feedback sellers selling 1 Ounce Gold Buffalos. It had to be some kind of scam.

There is a seller with 0 feedback right now selling one on Ebay - 14 hours left 2 bids already @  2025.00

The seller only has 1 item for Sale with 0 Feedback which just happens to be a high value 2020 1 Ounce Buffalo ? I've seen hundreds of these sales in the last few months. There has to be some Criminality

involved in these Ebay Transactions. Money Laundering, Something..... Dems funding their Party maybe :grin:

Edited by NevadaS&G

It could be far fetched but If a new seller was selling a high $ item and waits the 30 Days for Payment he should be able to Dispute the Charge with his bank within 45 days. Thus he gets to keep the Ebay money and the money

for the Chargeback along with his imaginary coin because he returned the item. 

I think This is how Ebay keeps it's seller fees so low for us legitimate sellers.

Edited by NevadaS&G

43 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Ebay is a strange place, I can't understand the amount of buyers I've seen buying 1 Ounce Gold Buffalos on ebay from sellers with (11) feedback and one recent Red Strike on their feedback. 

It must be some money making scam that I don't understand. A few months ago I found countless low feedback sellers selling 1 Ounce Gold Buffalos. It had to be some kind of scam.

There is a seller with 0 feedback right now selling one on Ebay - 14 hours left 2 bids already @  2025.00

The seller only has 1 item for Sale with 0 Feedback which just happens to be a high value 2020 1 Ounce Buffalo ? I've seen hundreds of these sales in the last few months. There has to be some Criminality

involved in these Ebay Transactions. Money Laundering, Something..... Dems funding their Party maybe :grin:

I've noticed that also. Im really afraid to buy something very high dollar off there with someone with 10 reviews. And 1 of them bad. 

3 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I've noticed that also. Im really afraid to buy something very high dollar off there with someone with 10 reviews. And 1 of them bad. 

Yeah check it out, I blacked out the Seller Id, I've counted hundreds of these things listings

4444456.png