• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgan/peace dollar release

11 posts in this topic

I been seeing some articles about the mint producing 2021 Morgan and peace dollars to commemorate the 100 year anniversary since the last produced Morgan. Can anyone tell me the opening preorder date and the place to order these I can’t find anything on the US mint site. I can find a 2021 Morgan dollar on APMEX but don’t know if it’s just a medal or the actual legal tender coin. I would like to have a first release set.

Edited by KyCoinKollektor

Not sure if the legislation passed Congress and was signed before adjournment. In any event nothing has been produced, so any ads you see are for imitations or counterfeits.

The legislation was passed by both houses and sent to the President on the 24th.  From what I have been able to find he did not sign it before the 116th Congress adjourned Jan 3rd so the legislation is now dead.

3 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The legislation was passed by both houses and sent to the President on the 24th.  From what I have been able to find he did not sign it before the 116th Congress adjourned Jan 3rd so the legislation is now dead.

Thanks! Good to know. Maybe the mint will issue a commemorative coin with a reverse featuring a bunch of people kicking a dead horse.

Seriously, the fall-back option is likely a 2021 gold Peace "dollar" on a 1-oz planchet....matching the 2016 gold bullion issues. That could make an impressive set of four gold pieces in a custom case - or maybe a double set to show both sides....?

They would have to violate the “maximum of two commemorative programs per year” rule. There are already two announced for 2021 - Christa McAuliffe and Law Enforcement Museum. 

They didn't consider these to be "commemoratives" as in no $10 surcharge for anyone.

Oddly even though the 116th Congress ended and it was two days past the 10 day signing period, and two days after the Congress ended, the library of congress now shows the president signed it on the 5th and and that it is now law.  

1 minute ago, Conder101 said:

They didn't consider these to be "commemoratives" as in no $10 surcharge for anyone.

Oddly even though the 116th Congress ended and it was two days past the 10 day signing period, and two days after the Congress ended, the library of congress now shows the president signed it on the 5th and and that it is now law.  

There ARE recipients of surcharges. The ANS and maybe the ANA.

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

There ARE recipients of surcharges. The ANS and maybe the ANA.

There is nothing in the legislation about surcharges or any of the funds going to the ANS or ANA.

SEC. 6. SALE OF COINS.

(a) Sale Price.—The coins issued under this Act shall be sold by the Secretary at a price equal to the sum of—

(1) the face value of the coins; and

(2) the cost of designing and issuing the coins (including labor, materials, dies, use of machinery, overhead expenses, marketing, and shipping).

(b) Bulk Sales.—The Secretary may make bulk sales of the coins issued under this Act at a reasonable discount.

That is all it says about the sale prices and nowhere in the bill does it mention a surcharge or that any of the funds go anywhere.

There have been two other bills that intended to issue 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, possibly one of those had language about surcharges going to the ANA an ANS, but no version of the one that was passed and signed ever did.  I checked all the versions of this bill.

Edited by Conder101

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

There is nothing in the legislation about surcharges or any of the funds going to the ANS or ANA.

SEC. 6. SALE OF COINS.

(a) Sale Price.—The coins issued under this Act shall be sold by the Secretary at a price equal to the sum of—

(1) the face value of the coins; and

(2) the cost of designing and issuing the coins (including labor, materials, dies, use of machinery, overhead expenses, marketing, and shipping).

(b) Bulk Sales.—The Secretary may make bulk sales of the coins issued under this Act at a reasonable discount.

That is all it says about the sale prices and nowhere in the bill does it mention a surcharge or that any of the funds go anywhere.

There have been two other bills that intended to issue 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, possibly one of those had language about surcharges going to the ANA an ANS, but no version of the one that was passed and signed ever did.  I checked all the versions of this bill.

Yes, that was apparently an earlier version, being circulated at the 2019 World’s Fair of Money in Rosemont. That one never got even one chamber to pass it. PAN was very actively promoting that one also at the Pittsburgh NMS that March.

Edited by VKurtB