• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AU 42 Mounted removed, mount removed,repaired

11 posts in this topic

Hi, trying to ascertain the value of a coin before I make an offer. The coin I want to buy has a grading of AU42 but states "Mount removed, repaired".  Would the coin be worth more if it did not have "repaired" in the description - i.e. is the value determined by the grading AU42. Thank you

7 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Who graded it? Could you supply a picture or better still a link to the site.

thank you. So the coin I want to purchase is the below. Its been listed for $7,750 by a dealer but can see they purchased it off heritage auctions for $5,760

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3894862-001/Other/

I have then found another one which is also AU 42 but just says "Mount removed" with no reference to being repaired. Sold for $6,900

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2805156-004/Other/

Just trying to gauge if there should be a difference in value between the two coins.

32 minutes ago, Bryceandrew said:

Hi, trying to ascertain the value of a coin before I make an offer. The coin I want to buy has a grading of AU42 but states "Mount removed, repaired".  Would the coin be worth more if it did not have "repaired" in the description - i.e. is the value determined by the grading AU42. Thank you

The coin is not a AU42 those don’t exist. What u have is a details graded coin. The 42 your seeing only states that there is only 42 coins graded with details, it is not a grade it it’s population for NGC.

Sorry, but your posts tell me that it would be much better for you to learn a lot more about coins, the rare coin market and condition/grading, before you even think about spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on coins.

Yep the grade is AU details, which means the coin looks AU but has been damaged.  I personally do not buy damaged coins but if its one you really want try working with the dealer, do you know he bought this at the Heritage auction or did you just find the auction result on Heritage?   If I had to have it I would offer 6K tops, if that's not enough for him maybe another will show up at auction soon. 

Just now, Coinbuf said:

Yep the grade is AU details, which means the coin looks AU but has been damaged.  I personally do not buy damaged coins but if its one you really want try working with the dealer, do you know he bought this at the Heritage auction or did you just find the auction result on Heritage?   If I had to have it I would offer 6K tops, if that's not enough for him maybe another will show up at auction soon. 

For all we know at this point, the coin could have been a very bad deal or a very good one for the buyer, at the price paid. I wouldn’t suggest that Bryceandrew offer anything at this time.

Mark's opinion certainly outweighs my own when it comes to rare coin purchase consulting but once I saw the certification link I came to the same conclusion.  Learn more about rare coins before jumping in with a sizable investment like this one.  Specifically, how the grading scale works and how to properly read the population reports.  If you just want foreign gold that can be had in much better condition and price points.

As to the coin itself and it's "value", @World Colonialis who I'd ask first since he's as close to an expert on S. African coinage that I know of at this point.  So there I go tagging him in if he's inclined.