• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 wheat DDO?

7 posts in this topic

My mother in law ordered a 1lb of Wheaties from the mint and this was in the bag. If you look at the "b" in the "liberty" you will notice its spelled 

"Libierty" . I have heard of no such error reported with this year but I haven't a doubt that its good minting error. Let me know if I have something special or just another penny. 

20201227_080640.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's not a DDO, but rather a chip in the die. This occurred to cents frequently during the 1950s-60s, but it largely disappeared with the new obverse hub of 1969 that didn't place these letters so closely together. These "BIE" breaks were very popular with collectors in the 1960s, with books cataloging all the known varieties and even a club dedicated to their study. Nowadays, collectors know more about how coins are made, and BIE breaks are still fun but not worth a premium.

Thank you very much for the answer. I was hoping for a good answer instead of just yes or no. I will be posting some more inquiries in the near future and always look forward to learning new things about my collection 

was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this for me.   I haven't been collecting for very long. and I'm still trying to distinguish the difference between hub doubling and a double die. 

this 1958 would be hub doubling, correct?

But is this also considered hub doubling? this is not the same coin. this is a 1956 wheat. reason i posted it in this forum.  sorry if i maybe should have just started a new thread??

I haven't come across any information saying that there is a double die for 1956-D    any help would be much appreciated. 

Snapshot@2020_1209_162952.jpg

Snapshot@2020_1215_075615.jpg

Snapshot@2020_1215_075320.jpg

Snapshot@2020_1215_074424.jpg

Snapshot@2020_1215_075313.jpg

Snapshot@2020_1215_075320.jpg

@bhauck86 Both the 1958 and 1956-D have classic strike/die deterioration doubling, neither of these are a result of hub doubling or a doubled die coin.  This type of doubling happens because the die (or dies) have been used too long and are worn out and/or because when the coin was struck the die (or dies) were loose and "bounced" at the time the coin was struck.  Both of these things happen often in the day to day operation of the US mint.