• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check out my new Seated Dollar!!!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, shirohniichan1 said:

Nice coin from my favorite year! Get a '73 Winchester and '73 Colt SAA to go along with your new acquisition.

Never thought of that!  What a cool aspiration!!

I had to come back and take another look at this fine example of classic silver coinage.  One day I can only hope a 99-year old life-long numismatist will sit down with me and reveal the most closely guarded secrets of the profession.

Take this treasure, for example.  I would like to know exactly what it was the grader saw that disqualified it for consideration as, say, an MS-67, MS-66, MS-65, MS-64, and MS-63.  

I see minor brushes and bruises but no chatter.  There is a suggestion of light toning that appears to have shaded what vestiges of original mint luster may have remained. The stars are well-defined. The denticular structure is intact.  If anyone were to suggest this coin merited consideration as a MS-63, would anyone have a violent objection?  Generally, in all respects, this is a very lovely, well-preserved gem any collector would be proud to own. Thank you, Walkerfan, for taking the time to share your possession with us.  🐓

On 8/1/2021 at 9:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I had to come back and take another look at this fine example of classic silver coinage.  One day I can only hope a 99-year old life-long numismatist will sit down with me and reveal the most closely guarded secrets of the profession.

Take this treasure, for example.  I would like to know exactly what it was the grader saw that disqualified it for consideration as, say, an MS-67, MS-66, MS-65, MS-64, and MS-63.  

I see minor brushes and bruises but no chatter.  There is a suggestion of light toning that appears to have shaded what vestiges of original mint luster may have remained. The stars are well-defined. The denticular structure is intact.  If anyone were to suggest this coin merited consideration as a MS-63, would anyone have a violent objection?  Generally, in all respects, this is a very lovely, well-preserved gem any collector would be proud to own. Thank you, Walkerfan, for taking the time to share your possession with us.  🐓

You're very welcome.  I appreciate the compliments.  Graders, sometimes, get it wrong or, if nothing else, can be very conservative, at times.  This is a perfect example of 'buy the coin and not the holder'.  I think that one can do well, as a numismatist, if you learn to recognize and act upon the 'cherrypicks'.  That's the way that I like to collect and have been doing it for a long time.  I have a lot of coins that I feel are under-graded.  Finding them can be fun and profitable.  Thanks again for the kind words.  :)  

Edited by Walkerfan