• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polka Dots on Morgans

16 posts in this topic

I thought I had a ugly spot on my GSA Morgan, then I saw another for sale with the same thing. See attached, its like a mesh of polka dots. Is this possibly something that happened to the Morgan when it was against the bag? Does it effect the grade?

Thanks for your ideas

Morgan_Polka_Dots.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Yes, the pattern you’re asking about is referred to as “textile toning”, the result of the coin being in contact with the bag in which it resided for a long period of time.

That’s an especially prominent example.

Edited by MarkFeld

In the above photo, notice the deranged man with the dagger going after a member of the accordion player's family. The men in armor were there to protect the accordions, not the mint's gold.

22 minutes ago, RWB said:

In the above photo, notice the deranged man with the dagger going after a member of the accordion player's family. The men in armor were there to protect the accordions, not the mint's gold.

Can't really tell but the guard on the right kinda looks like he's smiling. 

This sample - found in the secret Warsaw Mint archives - is a graphic example of what caused the "polka dots" on the OP's coin. Some experts, including the late Lawrence Welk, considered this the finest example of polka music in the world....well so it says on the internet. (Notice the amazing use of A-flat against G in the bass in bar 21...such stable genius creativity.)

Polka.jpg

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

Could it possibly be a cheese clothed coin, I’ve seen several coins graded with that attribute

What kind of cheese?

(Actually, the fabric pattern is a good match for the bag canvas used in 1890.)

31 minutes ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

No, I just felt my possible theory was taken lightly, so i posted this to calm down the children 

If I gave you that impression I am sorry. I think the Morgan is a quality coin ..

Edited by MAULEMALL

My thoughts when I saw it was it sit in a coin bag horded up for years. Sitting right against the side of the bag and it left that pattern. Could have set in a vault for decades like that. That was what came to my mind when I first saw it. I could be wrong tho.