• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 D Dime Grade?

21 posts in this topic

Im no grader. Im no expert. I just want to try a crack at it. Im trying to learn. But unless its just the lighting it looks like a small spot of wear on the cheek. Id say either AU 58 or ms 61. 

Ya took a grading class on line through A.N.A. Numatics Association.. so went to auction and bought a 1893 Morgan.. looked like a Au-55 with luck a AU-58.. got it home and it looks more like an AU-50 or XF-45..so anther lessoned learned.. a man has got to know his limitations.. lol.. stay healthy and good luck on the grading .. 

I've been trying to learn more about it. I've been guessing at coins other people have been putting on here. I've not shared my guesses on here very many times. Sometimes I'm right on with other people's and sometimes I'm way off. Some of the experts will get on here and note all kinds of things on the coins that I way overlook. Its amazing how they have trained theyre eyes to spot certain details. I have been watching those things and trying to watch for them and what adds to the grade and what takes away from. There is way way more to it then I ever imagined since I first started to get into collecting. 

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

Ya took a grading class on line through A.N.A. Numatics Association.. so went to auction and bought a 1893 Morgan.. looked like a Au-55 with luck a AU-58.. got it home and it looks more like an AU-50 or XF-45..so anther lessoned learned.. a man has got to know his limitations.. lol.. stay healthy and good luck on the grading .. 

The chapter missing in the ANA class is titled "Coins Are Always at Least One Grade Lower When You Get Them Home."

5 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I've been trying to learn more about it. I've been guessing at coins other people have been putting on here. I've not shared my guesses on here very many times. Sometimes I'm right on with other people's and sometimes I'm way off. Some of the experts will get on here and note all kinds of things on the coins that I way overlook. Its amazing how they have trained theyre eyes to spot certain details. I have been watching those things and trying to watch for them and what adds to the grade and what takes away from. There is way way more to it then I ever imagined since I first started to get into collecting. 

I do the same thing. I also have got a few books on grading coins.  About 30% of the time I am in the same range as the pros. thus I don't buy many raw coins.

1 minute ago, Rummy13 said:

I do the same thing. I also have got a few books on grading coins.  About 30% of the time I am in the same range as the pros. thus I don't buy many raw coins.

Same here. I mostly buy graded coins. Unless I'm buying from the mint. I've bought a few raw ones. I've got burned up a couple times doing so. 

That is a sweet looker. Im gonna guess ms 67 FT just from what I see. I see a couple little rim dings. And a slight discoloration spot on the cheek. When some of you experts chime in tell me where I messed up. I been trying to teach myself a little on how to grade. So far I'm failing my course. Need some criticism and some guidance on where I need to go. It sure is a beauty of a dime though. Id be very happy to add one like that to my collection. Maybe a ms 68 after I take a second look. 

Edited by Hoghead515

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

That is a sweet looker. Im gonna guess ms 67...Maybe a ms 68 after I take a second look. 

I'm right there with you...I am leaning a little towards the 68.

It is pretty huge magnification and with my bare eyes under proper single light source it took a while to notice anything, even that little nick on the N on the reverse.

Also my photo is multiple light sources and it lit up that nick perfectly. It's a pretty awesome dime I must say.

Thanks!!!

5 minutes ago, Kurisu said:

I'm right there with you...I am leaning a little towards the 68.

It is pretty huge magnification and with my bare eyes under proper single light source it took a while to notice anything, even that little nick on the N on the reverse.

Also my photo is multiple light sources and it lit up that nick perfectly. It's a pretty awesome dime I must say.

Thanks!!!

After I looked at it the second time I'm saying a 68 also. If it weren't magnified so much those tiny dings would hardly be noticeable. Good eye on that. Maybe even a high end 68. Close to a 69. Its a sweet sweet dime. Great find.  Congratulations on it. Cant wait till the big dogs weigh in on it. See how close we got or if we're missing something. 

Just now, Coinbuf said:

...late state dies, this is supported by the slight softness seen on the lettering.  So that would bring it down to MS67, the unknown variable is eye appeal, yours has it (imo) but is it enough to push back up to MS68 or not is the big question.   As I said its a very nice dime and considering how many you had to search thru to find this one it shows just how difficult it is to find such a nice and clean example.  If you decide to submit this please let us know how it does, would be a good learning tool for all.

Love it! You bet I will it's going out for grading within a month or so!

I like to be optimistic when I pull them out, then I go into super ultra conservative realistic mode one light proper grader look...and you just took that to a Whole 'Nother Level. I like it, thanks :-)

15 hours ago, Kurisu said:

We were close. I hit it right on with my first guess. By Coin Buf's decision. Id say he's probably been in the game long enough to know what to look for. Thanks for the input Coin Buf. 

11 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

That looks like a very nice dime, I don't collect moderns or dimes so my shot in the dark grade is MS67FB max.  I think the combination of the rim nicks, micro abrasions, and the one notable hit on the reverse eliminate anything above 68.  I also can see some obvious flow lines on both the obverse and reverse which indicate this was struck with late state dies, this is supported by the slight softness seen on the lettering.  So that would bring it down to MS67, the unknown variable is eye appeal, yours has it (imo) but is it enough to push back up to MS68 or not is the big question.   As I said its a very nice dime and considering how many you had to search thru to find this one it shows just how difficult it is to find such a nice and clean example.  If you decide to submit this please let us know how it does, would be a good learning tool for all.

Indeed a very nice dime, outstanding luster. The one thing that stands out to me that hasn’t been mentioned yet that would bump it down to a 67 is that it’s  striked  a little off center. Left side rim is definitely wider than the right. With some rim dings as well.