• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a Variety for this coin? and if not could anyone help identify why I think its different?

11 posts in this topic

first Welcome

Your coin shows some dramatic machine doubling and what looks to be plating issues. In my opinion it is cool as anything but it is worthless. If you look closely at the one you will see that the doubling is flat and shelf-like. This is a classic sign of of strike or machine doubling. This is neither a variety nor an error. 

The date doubling looks to be plating issues. Remember that coin presses are high speed machines and things get lose and wear out rapidly. They work at machine gun like speeds for time frames that would wear the best machine gun to a useless lump. Many things can and do happen that would seem impossible to a casual observer.

The radiating obverse line pattern is characteristic of severe die deterioration - the Mint calls this "starburst." The dies should have been condemned long before this coin was produced.

A really great example of what happens when striking modern copper coated zinc core cents with an overused die, not worth more then one cent but a great teaching piece for sure.  I'm actually quite impressed that there is no copper splitting as well.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those dies actually are fresh, with no signs of wear. The radiant pattern that simulates "starburst" is the result of some liquid dispersal upon striking. Most likely it's a machine lubricant or a cleaning solution. Whether it was on the die or the planchet is uncertain.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

Those dies actually are fresh, with no signs of wear. The radiant pattern that simulates "starburst" is the result of some liquid dispersal upon striking. Most likely it's a machine lubricant or a cleaning solution. Whether it was on the die or the planchet is uncertain.

This is interesting. I learned something new. And I’m assuming the displacement of this liquid caused the die/planchet to shift as the liquid is displaced which leads to the strike doubling? 

I wasn’t aware they lubricated the dies. Is this a purposeful exercise to prevent deterioration or accidental as a result of leakage from oiling the machinery?

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

This is interesting. I learned something new. And I’m assuming the displacement of this liquid caused the die/planchet to shift as the liquid is displaced which leads to the strike doubling? 

I wasn’t aware they lubricated the dies. Is this a purposeful exercise to prevent deterioration or accidental as a result of leakage from oiling the machinery?

There are many variations of Grease that have filled dies and caused very cool strikes

coins struck through grease images - Bing images

Edited by MAULEMALL

3 hours ago, DWLange said:

How does NGC GRADE these strike throughs Mr Lange?

I'll have to disagree with Mr. Lange on this one, and feel it is starburst from metal fatigue in the die. A second identical coin would confirm or refute this opinion.

Lubricants were and are used on planchets to prevent sticking together, and  in the hoppers and feeding mechanism. The effect is called "wring" in production of precision gauge blocks, etc. However, this is an extremely thin irregular coating and cannot produce ripples or radiating marks. Dies are not lubricated - they get all that is necessary from the planchets.