• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a strike thru error?

14 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, powermad5000 said:

I have sent in quite a few submissions under the Mint Error designation, and have to admit it seems to be a 50/50 shot on something like this. To me, it has a clip at 5:00 but it would not be the first time submitting something like this and having it come back with the little white sticker that says "Not a mint error - too insignificant". I have several errors with a clip that there is an actual piece of the coin missing. I have also got back little white stickers that have said "Not a mint error - physical damage" and were graded in the slab as damaged or mechanical damage.

That said, they already graded it without dinging it for physical damage so you are probably good there. I would pull up and carefully read NGC's requirements for what they consider a mint error and then also decide whether it is worth the $$ for resubmission if it comes back with the same grade and a little white sticker that says it is not a mint error. In the future, I recommend to do this same practice of rechecking NGC's rules on mint errors BEFORE you make your initial submission to save yourself from going through the resubmitting process and spending extra $$.

One other thing you can also try before considering resubmission is to look on eBay through the array of error coins and see if there are any on there that are in the slab that look similar to yours. If you find one close to what you have regardless of where it is located on the coin itself as NGC uses a clock to describe clip errors, I would say then it is worth a shot at sending it back in.

From my experiences though, this one is right on the borderline and could go either way so I guess it would be up to you to risk losing $$ to have it return without earning a Mint Error label.

So I may have a Clipped Coin. thanks powermad5000

Edited by NevadaS&G

I am going to go way out on a limb here and give my thoughts about this coin. When NGC gave this coin an uncirculated grade  (full grade} and did not tag it as damaged did that not imply the damage was done at the mint ? Was the graders opinion it occurred during minting or did the grader miss the damage ?  My opinion would be that it was damaged in minting and unless an error designation was requested it would not be on the label. I would not resubmit the coin for error designation as it could come back as a detail grade. I do not think this is a clip error but more like a die fill issue ( as in some material built up on the die maybe). I am no expert and would never advise anyone about what they should do, just giving my opinion.

Nice coin by the way.

11 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

Man you guys wont ever let this go.....

When you came here you started the ball rolling.  Some very fine people tried to get you to put an end to it but you just kept on and on.

Now you will have to live with it.   :makepoint:

I would leave it alone.  it isn't significant enough to garner a premium.  Unless you want to to say something to the affect.  If so I have found that ANACS will tag just about anything you want them to with these types of errors. 

It doesn't look like post strike damage, there was definitely a problem withthe planchet at the time of the strike.  I can't say for sure what but  a very tiny clip  would be the most probably cause in ,my opinion.  Just about as small a clip as you can get.

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

If you want Nevada don't even worry about sending it back in. Just ship it over here to my house and you won't have to worry about it any more. Thats a nice looking quarter. It would look good in my collection. 

I'm not going to list this one on fleabay, It's going straight to my Private Reserve Personal Collection.

All i could find on the webs that looks similiar like this is on this 59 Ben. The AM is also partially missing.

1959 T2 Rim Clip PCGS MS65 CAC.jpg.opt539x358o0,0s539x358.jpg

Edited by NevadaS&G