• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC World Coin Price Guide
1 1

2 posts in this topic

NGC states on their website that “The World Coin Price Guide was independently compiled by Active Interest Media’s NumisMaster. In some cases, NGC has made adjustments or edits to the prices, descriptions and specifications. NGC makes the World Coin Price Guide available to its website visitors as a free service, but in no way does the information provided represent NGC’s official opinion or policy.” 

The World Coin Price Guide was previously based on the prices that were given in the Standard Catalog of World Coins (SCWC), which was published by Krause Publications.  According to Wikipedia, “In June 2019 the assets of F+W were sold at bankruptcy auctions. The book publishing assets and Krause brand were acquired by Penguin Random House. The magazines were dispersed; Numismatic News, for instance, was acquired by Active Interest Media.”

So I have a few questions:

1)      Are the prices for world coins currently being updated in the NGC World Coin Price Guide?

2)      Does Active Interest Media have the expertise required to compile the prices of world coins?  Their website can be found at https://www.aimmedia.com/, but I don’t see any references to the area of coins on this website.

3)      If Active Interest Media develops a database for world coin prices, then do you think they may also develop a world coin catalog along the lines of the SCWC? It sounds like the SCWC might now belong to Penguin Random House. It would be nice if someone continued publishing the SCWC.

I know there are members of the Forum who've just about had enough of hearing about Quintus Arrius and his collection of French 20-franc gold roosters but I have never been able to consult a single source here, or ATS, that can provide me with the information I need beginning with authorized mintages of the series, how many were believed to survive, an accurate accounting of how many have been certified and an estimate as to their present value. Contrary to what many may believe, this information is not available.  The results of auctions are meaningless.  The highest grading tiers are shrouded in secrecy.  The only way I was able to compile a decent collection (#1 @ PCGS) is by accepting any offer being made.  Fair Market Value does not begin to address the true value of something so elusive no one can get a handle on how many exist and where they are. It is my considered opinion that anyone who tries to emulate me will rapidly come to the realization he is, or will soon become, in over his head.  It is a time and labor intensive experience. I set the bar high for myself and am in too deep to quit now. But as far as I can determine, there is no single source world coin price guide available from anyone.  In the unique top grades, pop. 1, none higher, the buyer and seller determine the price.