• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rosivelt Dimes collection

10 posts in this topic

So I have a set of 1950 to 1964 rosivelt dimes of pf 68 & pf 69. When I scan them on NGC  values add up over $2,600  for the total set. Wouldn't they be worth more as a set? Or would I benifit making more selling them individually or is the NGC price even the price I should sell them at?

Generally coins sell below book value. As a general rule of thumb people usually say 80-85% of retail. 

My opinion is that you may do better parting them out from a dollar value, but you have to value your time as well. So the time to sell each individually vs a single sell as a set you will need to determine. I don’t think anyone will pay a premium yet may expect a slight discount when buying in bulk. 

Welcome to the forum, too little information t be able to comment on what your coins might be valued at.  Things like are the coins graded by a TPG and if so which grading firm, are the coins toned or basically white, are any cam or dcam.  However as an example I looked at 1951 and took the last six NGC graded PF68 sales and threw out the high and low for an average of $90 and the NGC guide shows this at $275.  I also checked recent auction house results but the only one I found listed was 2018 for $100, there were better auction results but those were three or four years prior and likely do not represent the value today.

So from that small sample it would seem that as an average roughly 40% (or less) of guide is what you can expect if you use Ebay to sell these individually.  You might be able to get a slightly higher amount selling as a set but that is also likely a smaller pool of buyers, collectors rarely want to just buy a set they instead prefer to put one together with coins they choose.

You might do better using an auction house like Great Collections but its difficult to say and of course there are fees to be considered.

Edited by Coinbuf

With Roosevelt dimes in those grades, there are likely to be some specialty collectors interested in them. The GC suggestion seems like a good one if you plan to sell.

Edited by RWB

Unless you have some * + or cameos they would struggle to bring 1000 dollars 

eBay currently has those years and grades listed individually as buy it nows that total 999.00 including shipping and  not selling 

In answer to the question as to whether the coins would bring more as a set - I think that in most cases, they would bring less. That’s because, while some buyers might want to buy an entire set at once, many more would not.
Many buyers would want to acquire one or more coins and might pay good money for them, but would have no interest in an entire set. So they would be eliminated as potential buyers of a set. Said differently, if you offer the coins as a set, you’re eliminating many potential buyers of individual coins.