• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better to...
1 1

11 posts in this topic

...Better to slab or not ?

I have 4 smaller U.S. bullion gold coins I'll most likely get slabbed and one of them being in it's original packaging as shown in image.   I'm concerned that later in life little curious fingers might want to see coin in hand and potentially mar the surface. So, from a collecting standpoint, is it better to leave in original Mint display or have it slabbed and keep Mint display box/material on hand ?

Thanks.

1988w.5.gold01.jpg

I have a few of these bullion coins in each of the various denominations and I would never consider spending the money to slab any of them.  The hard plastic capsule that the mint used is just about as sturdy as any TPG holder.  I can think of a few reasons why some do decide to; such as for a registry set or perhaps some may feel that it will make the coin more liquid/easy to sell.   If your only concern and reason for considering this is that a young child or grandchild might damage it I would put the funds toward a small safe or strong box where you could safely store these and that way they could only be viewed under adult supervision.

However if you do decide to submit I would save the mint packaging, but that is probably just the coin hoarder in me.  lol

Edited by Coinbuf

I suppose part of the reason I asked this question is that we, myself being somewhat new to this, are always recommended to purchase coins of any decent value that are encapsulated/graded by a service to ensure authenticity and potential value. I recently had another coin returned by NGC as "Not Authentic" and thankfully the auction house is willing to take the return due to NGCs determination. I did weigh and magnetic check prior to shipping and by appearance seemed OK but alas...chit happens.

Granted the $5 is only worth at best $245 currently but in the future 10-20-30 years it's value could/would increase, yeah inflation yada yada, and the cost of whatever a TPG may charge will increase for sure so wouldn't it be prudent to just go ahead and get the grading/slabbing done now(at cheapest service possible) and out of the way in the event that these are sold after my demise ? I can't see the selling process changing much in the future so this would help with streamlining that part of the process.
  I may not do this with the $5 but the 2 $10s and $25 I most likely will...dunno hahaha.
Thanks for looking and replies.

19 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

I suppose part of the reason I asked this question is that we, myself being somewhat new to this, are always recommended to purchase coins of any decent value that are encapsulated/graded by a service to ensure authenticity and potential value. I recently had another coin returned by NGC as "Not Authentic" and thankfully the auction house is willing to take the return due to NGCs determination. I did weigh and magnetic check prior to shipping and by appearance seemed OK but alas...chit happens.

Granted the $5 is only worth at best $245 currently but in the future 10-20-30 years it's value could/would increase, yeah inflation yada yada, and the cost of whatever a TPG may charge will increase for sure so wouldn't it be prudent to just go ahead and get the grading/slabbing done now(at cheapest service possible) and out of the way in the event that these are sold after my demise ? I can't see the selling process changing much in the future so this would help with streamlining that part of the process.
  I may not do this with the $5 but the 2 $10s and $25 I most likely will...dunno hahaha.

It's bullion with a dollar amount to quantify it as a coin. The value lies in the gold and the traded price of gold. 

if you Mar it ,it will still retain its value as gold . 

27 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

If protection is your main interest, and you don't want to pay a TPG fee, there are dozens of nice, professional 'Self Slabs' available from EBay to the coin supply dealers.

Just a suggestion.  :preach:

Every time an original mint capsule is opened, the coin is exposed to contaminants in the air. That greatly increases the likelihood of future spotting and degradation. Leave them in the originals -- and save your money to buy other coins.

7 hours ago, EdG_Ohio said:

I suppose part of the reason I asked this question is that we, myself being somewhat new to this, are always recommended to purchase coins of any decent value that are encapsulated/graded by a service to ensure authenticity and potential value.

For myself I tend to think of this advice as for numismatic important old gold and collector coins, I do not think of mint bullion products in this fashion.  While its possible that there are some counterfeits of modern mint gold products I do not consider that a major issue and no issue at all if you bought these from the mint directly.