• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

chile volcano peso lovers
1 1

15 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, RWB said:

Nice coin!

At first I thought you were talking about food.

Me too. I thought he was advertising a new Mexican restaurant. Is that those coins they found preserved in that lava rock or whatever it was. I just saw something about it. I didn't get no details on it. I think someone may have been talking about it in another thread I read a few weeks ago. 

10 minutes ago, The 12th Denticle said:

That Chile volcano peso is a beauty. Here’s my 1906 coin from the Philippines with a volcano in the background. 

6E443902-C871-421A-8CAD-E56CAF2E20BE.jpeg

That's a beauty, I like. Hadn't seen this one before. 

Can't wait to see what the 1820 goes for tomorrow night.

This thread still makes me hungry every time I read the title.

25 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

when i left the phillipines MT PINATUBO was looking like that:pullhair: and that was the end of a golden era

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I really like this coin series. I think it is exquisitely designed. Not sure if you were aware, but it is actually a US coin. The Philippines was an American overseas territory from 1898-1946.

You know, now that you mention it, I’m starting to crave some spicy slow-cooked chili! :bigsmile:

The Chilean coins that did sell, did well. Most went for more than the pre-auction estimate - a few for quite a bit more. With a $35K reserve, this one was going to require some deep pockets.

I wonder how large the collector base is for high-end Chilean coins.

Edited by Just Bob
added another thought

18 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The Chilean coins that did sell, did well. Most went for more than the pre-auction estimate - a few for quite a bit more. With a $35K reserve, this one was going to require some deep pockets.

I wonder how large the collector base is for high-end Chilean coins.

For the coins  I buy and track most, my experience is that their estimates are usually low.

I thought the coins that did sell did well, but I don't track it that closely.  As for the size of the collector base, it can't be very large at all, maybe somewhat more than the coins I collect at most.  There is virtually no supply in any decent quality for most of these dates, the 1817 peso being the most common but still hardly common compared to the vast majority of US coins.  

Collectors can bid up the price but cannot buy what doesn't exist.