• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From Mine to Mint
2 2

227 posts in this topic

Your forum and your topic are just a find for me because I am writing my scientific college work about the Mint and it's just very interesting. I read this with great pleasure. It is also interesting that when I read reviews about services at https://essayreviewexpert.com/review/writersperhour/ I found a mediocre service Writersperhour and the writer of this service did not describe the issue of the Mint very well, so I came to look for all the answers in your forum. You are very well done. I respect you.

Edited by Derekteris

1 hour ago, Derekteris said:

Your forum and your topic are just a find for me because I am writing my scientific college work about the Mint and it's just very interesting. I read this with great pleasure.

Feel free to ask questions or request data locations.

7 hours ago, Derekteris said:

Your forum and your topic are just a find for me because I am writing my scientific college work about the Mint and it's just very interesting. I read this with great pleasure.

RWB that just responded wrote the book. It's full of wonderful information. It's a very informative book if you need info for a writing. RWB can answer about any question you need. 

10 hours ago, Derekteris said:

Roger has other books which are highly acclaimed, including the Renaissance of American Coinage series and my favorite, Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles.

What course are you taking that focuses on the U.S. Mint ?  What aspect of the mint are you going to focus on ?

On 1/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, RWB said:

Denticles were the last part cut on a working die. As with most other parts of a die, they were likely laid out with pencil or ink before cutting. I don't know when knurling tools or markers came into mint use, but they were in normal industrial use to mark and cut gears. If you think about it, denticles are nothing more than incomplete gear teeth.

I know this is an old post but I love denticles.  Why did they start using them?  Why did they stop?  Did they serve a particular design purpose?  Or were they added to coins like cornices on old brownstone buildings?

12 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I know this is an old post but I love denticles.  Why did they start using them?  Why did they stop?  Did they serve a particular design purpose?  Or were they added to coins like cornices on old brownstone buildings?

I also like denticles. I think they make coins look fantastic. Love the looks of them. 

I am not sure if anyone has a definitive answer. They might have been introduced as a device to discourage clipping, then transitioned to an ornament and finally to something expected on larger coins. Note the conversion of denticles into a dot-dash-dot pattern on the SL quarter, and their absence on the other "new" design coins of 1916 and 1921/22. It could make for an interesting article from someone with a good background in European numismatics.

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, RWB said:

I am not sure if anyone has a definitive answer. They might have been introduced as a device to discourage clipping, then transitioned to an ornament and finally to something expected on larger coins. Note the conversion of denticles into a dot-dash-dot pattern on the SL quarter, and their absence on the other "new" design coins of 1916 and 1921/22. It could make for an interesting article from someone with a good background in European numismatics.

My Roosters have oblong dots or ovals up against the rims -- and one of two raised mottos encircling the edges.  I believe coins that sport denticles look better while serving a utilitarian purpose.

25 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe coins that sport denticles look better while serving a utilitarian purpose.

The question was, "What is that utilitarian purpose?"

1 hour ago, RWB said:

The question was, "What is that utilitarian purpose?"

Discourage clipping, and counterfeiting.  Some denticles, chiefly on foreign coins, are elaborate and ornate but distinct.  If the ovals on a Rooster are round or misshapen that's cause for further investigation.  Only you know where filling, usually done at a specific location if at all, fits into this.

Lange's running three-part commentary, "Border Incidents, "ought to be required reading for anyone who grew up and became accustomed to seeing these features but never knew their significance. 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

"Border Incidents, "ought to be required reading for anyone who grew up and became accustomed to seeing these features but never knew their significance.

You would have to be pretty old to have grown up commonly seeing dentils on your coins.  They ended on cents in 1909, nickels in 1912, dimes quarters and halves in 1916 and dollars in 1921.  (OK the standing Liberty quarters had the dot dash pattern but they aren't really dentils.)

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

You would have to be pretty old to have grown up commonly seeing dentils on your coins.  They ended on cents in 1909, nickels in 1912, dimes quarters and halves in 1916 and dollars in 1921.  (OK the standing Liberty quarters had the dot dash pattern but they aren't really dentils.)

I'd like to see them come back. I also like the old shied nickles with the rays. Love that look. 

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Good point!  I believe I must have spent a lot of time looking at old coins and World coins and admiring the "dentils" and other architectural details on old buildings.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Good point!  I believe I must have spent a lot of time looking at old coins and World coins and admiring the "dentils" and other architectural details on old buildings.

I loved it up in Monteral when I worked up there years ago. All the old buildings.