• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Honor of NevadaS&G: Your Most Head Bashing TPG Result
1 1

80 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, gmarguli said:

.... I thought perhaps people might like to share their most "I want to bash my head against the wall" TPG result.

A coin I purchased [not further identified due to the possibility of incurring VKurtB's wrath] and listed as FDC (Fleur De Coin) or a range of from MS-65 to MS-70 USA, was formally graded by PCGS as MS-64+, a personal loss to me on two fronts: economically, with bank wire transfer and conversion costs from USD to euros, and, disqualification from the high standard I had set for myself on their Set Registry. Though I had the option of returning the "merchandise" and in so doing incurring further costs (and the risk inherent in all international transactions, I chose to pretend none of this ever happened adopting MarkFeld's stance that what I had purchased was merely an "opinion.

56 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

A coin I purchased [not further identified due to the possibility of incurring VKurtB's wrath] and listed as FDC (Fleur De Coin) or a range of from MS-65 to MS-70 USA, was formally graded by PCGS as MS-64+,

,A Rooster on A Frog coin.lol

The advancement in materials today is shocking, All the supplies I had bought to use wasn't available to old timer dudes. Fiberglass, Water proofing, Polyurethanes, Tiles, and High Performance Mortars & Grouts certainly made it easier. The old timer dudes must of had a rough life building these things

On 12/15/2020 at 4:35 PM, gmarguli said:

....Earlier this year I had a TPG refuse to holder several esoteric coins for me. Why? Because the TPG's outside authenticator told them not to. The outside authenticator is the exact same person I purchased the coins from. :frustrated: Yes, the person I bought the coins from told the TPG not to holder them.

There is an insider aspect to this.  Question:  If I, a person one-time hotel magnate Leona M. Helmsley (deceased) referred to dismissely as one of "the little people," i.e., people who pay taxes, were to be so bold as to ask a TPGS the question you asked, should I reasonably expect to get a response?

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarification.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:11 AM, MAULEMALL said:

You [NevadaS&G] trying to hide your face with a new avatar is cute.. Shame the internet is forever..

In point of fact, as noted by @VKurtB speaking from 2022, nothing is forever or final until Roger says it is speaking ex cathedra, but you wouldn't know it because you took a powder for parts unknown.  😉 

On 12/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, NevadaS&G said:

Thing is PCGS never looked at it. Your missing the point. They cracked it, removed the green bean, and said lets use the same grade that was on the holder. It's a win win for them, why work ?

[Others far more influential and direct than I am tried to get to the bottom of these allegations, but nearly two years later I am still scratching my head.]

On 12/15/2020 at 6:11 PM, NevadaS&G said:

So many wrong things were done I could go on for Days + the Email I sent explicitly asking for a 1 grade bump and other things. Don't Lecture me, ....

[Quite frankly, (yes, I have checked) since when can anyone "explicitly ask[ing]" (that is, demand) an elevation in grade?  It just isn't done. Read your submission paper!]

<see how much knowledge can be gleaned from reviewing old threads?  I was able to narrow down the very genesis of the dispute with this member, to a single day right before Christmas 2020, after which everyone else piled on and the gentleman fled the premises.>

On 12/15/2020 at 6:58 PM, coinsandmedals said:

As if there were not enough anecdotal evidence from your original thread to make it clear that you have zero idea of what you are doing, this comment makes that fact undeniably clear. So you submitted an NGC graded coin to PCGS as a crossover, and now you are upset because they crossed the coin at the same grade (i.e., PCGS cracked it out of the NGC holder and placed it in a PCGS holder with the same numeric grade)? If so, this is your fault for failing to understand the seemingly fool-proof procedure for PCGS crossover submissions. All submitters have the option of requesting a minimum grade for crossover. In other words, you have the option to request that the coin remain in its holder unless it can be crossed at your specified grade, which can be higher or lower than the assigned grade on the original holder. So for your example, you could have specified that your NGC MS-63 not cross at any grade less than what you thought the appropriate grade was (i.e., MS-65). In this case, PCGS did not think your coin was worthy of anything other than MS-63. Had you correctly filled out the form, then the coin would have been returned in its original NGC MS-63 holder. Your comment makes it clear that you never understood the crossover process. It is abundantly clear to those of us well versed in submitting coins to TPGs that the problem started and ended with you. 

This post deserves an honorable mention and is worth repeating!  :golfclap:

I don't bash my head on any TPG result. For one, as I have said, I am a horrible grader. I see Lincolns that look like children have played mini shuffleboard with for several weeks that are MS, etc...On Ebay, there has to be some coin swapping going on. JMO, I fear that many buyers aren't getting the coin that was originally encased in the graded holder. Even as untalented as I am at grading, I can see the difference between an MS61 and a 64. (I think). Coinsandmedals definitely didn't hold back and got to the point. 

On 12/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, NevadaS&amp;G said:

IMG_20201219_162849269_HDR.thumb.jpg.b92f5bba4c32e31e67b138830ee8dd0e.jpgIMG_20201219_162918963_HDR.thumb.jpg.1a97a83380a4206784168184615be5eb.jpgIMG_20201219_162809380_HDR.thumb.jpg.771d53e57573d60004cbbf573c45862e.jpg

There, to the left, as reflected in the bathroom mirror is a photo of our protagonist. The one and only. What the entire brouhaha here, and on at least one other thread, was all about was a perfectly understandable inability to comprehend a challenging form.  All of this could have been avoided had he sought help from someone experienced in filling out submission forms. It was all a misunderstanding. 🤔 

No, gentleman. Not at all. In my travels, I inadvertently stumbled upon this thread, the existence of which I heretofore never knew.  It explains in part the veritable tsunami of invective and vitriol hurled at me from various sources on the "other" thread. Finally, I discovered, The Truth, as set forth, hereinabove. Everyone who participated in this thread, covertly, w/o my knowledge is complicit in keeping this "gold mine" a secret from me.  :roflmao:  If I had a submission form, I could have hashed this whole mess out with member NevadaS&G over a cup of coffee.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:54 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Others far more influential and direct than I am, tried to get to the bottom of these allegations, but nearly two years later I am still scratching my head.]