• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit 2 cent pieces

4 posts in this topic

Currently for 1 day-22 hours left, there are two individual 2 cent pieces up for auction on eBay by seller north-east-auctions. These are "perfect" pieces in red and I believe both to be counterfeit. If legit, these should sell for $1000+. There is an 1864 and and 1865. On both, there is misshapen numbers in the dates as well as "piles" of metal near the numbers.

On the 1864, I noticed the dot under the shield is crooked. I noticed the denticles are misshapen and not sharp in some sections as should be on a "perfect" piece. Some of the denticles are more like "dots". 

On the 1865, there is the same issue with the denticles. The 6 is severely misshapen and the 5 is a "cross" between a plain and a fancy 5. There are two lumps of metal next to the 8. I noticed a lack of detail in IN. I noticed the shape of ST in TRUST does not seem to share the same shape as others I viewed while researching it. The dot under the shield is the same crooked dot as the 1864. 

What are the chances also that the same seller has two "perfect" two cent pieces a year apart??? For pieces that would be that high of a grade, I should not find the issues I am finding on these. I messaged the seller as to what the weight of the coins are, and as expected, I got no response.

I wonder if NGC reads these and takes a look into it....

PXL_20201211_200736907~2.jpg

PXL_20201211_030941109~2.jpg

Edited by powermad5000
add photos

15 minutes ago, powermad5000 said:

Currently for 1 day-22 hours left, there are two individual 2 cent pieces up for auction on eBay by seller north-east-auctions. These are "perfect" pieces in red and I believe both to be counterfeit. If legit, these should sell for $1000+. There is an 1864 and and 1865. On both, there is misshapen numbers in the dates as well as "piles" of metal near the numbers.

On the 1864, I noticed the dot under the shield is crooked. I noticed the denticles are misshapen and not sharp in some sections as should be on a "perfect" piece. Some of the denticles are more like "dots". 

On the 1865, there is the same issue with the denticles. The 6 is severely misshapen and the 5 is a "cross" between a plain and a fancy 5. There are two lumps of metal next to the 8. I noticed a lack of detail in IN. I noticed the shape of ST in TRUST does not seem to share the same shape as others I viewed while researching it. The dot under the shield is the same crooked dot as the 1864. 

What are the chances also that the same seller has two "perfect" two cent pieces a year apart??? For pieces that would be that high of a grade, I should not find the issues I am finding on these. I messaged the seller as to what the weight of the coins are, and as expected, I got no response.

I wonder if NGC reads these and takes a look into it....

Can you provide a link to the site?

Hi Bob. I don't like to provide links and in this case, you would not need a link. You can go to the eBay home page and search for these in the search box and find them quite easily. They almost stick out like a sore thumb when you scroll through the offerings on eBay.