• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American silver eagles off center strike

8 posts in this topic

Good evening all! I got a couple ASEs back today from grading and was surprised to find that one of them is definitely an off center strike on the reverse, ide Guage it about 15 degrees..... im not sure I've ever seen the topic brought up in ASE world before. I have other coins that are clearly off center. 

I feel like I want to send these back in and have them labeled as such,  but they are fairly high dollar coins and I am afraid it will hurt the value. 

Is this something I should look at and consider a rarity, since the ASE and West point mint are known for quality, that will raise the value or hurt it?

I am afraid to show the front because ide like to be credited with being the first to report the attribution.... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20201209-195754_Gallery.jpg

I think they are allowed to be so far off center before they will recognize them as so. Im not sure how much it is. I think like 25 to 30 %  just guessing. Im not sure on that but I think im close. Someone will be on here to help you in a few. But yours isn't off enough where they will recognize it. Its fairly normal. I got several slabbed lincolns like that. 

Are you talking about an Off Centre Strike or a Misaligned Die. You say it is on the reverse only which would make it a MAD.

I believe that is well within the mint specs for a coin and would not be recognised as an error.

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I think they are allowed to be so far off center before they will recognize them as so. Im not sure how much it is. I think like 25 to 30 %  just guessing. Im not sure on that but I think im close. Someone will be on here to help you in a few. But yours isn't off enough where they will recognize it. Its fairly normal. I got several slabbed lincolns like that. 

As I look back on this post I worded it wrong. Thats what I meant was mis aligned die. Not struck off center. I used a poor choice of words. Or rotated die. I also meant degrees instead of percent. I think it has to be more than 15 degrees off to be considered an error. I may be wrong. If I am someone will call me out and tell us the correct answer. They get to where they are worth a little more when they get 45 degrees off or more. 

Edited by Hoghead515

He only shows one picture, it is of the reverse and the die appears to be properly centered to me.  I think what he is talking about is a rotated die not off-center, not Mis-aligned.  And if the obv is properly oriented in the slab than that amount of rotation is almost certainly within tolerances.