• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im deleting my PCGS Account and never going back
1 1

359 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, NevadaS&G said:

20 USD

* If you're on auto renewal on the base rate / lowest tier.

I'm too, so not a criticism, but higher level memberships that give a discount cost more.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I will have to check it out.

@VKurtB I have ordered a copy and shall commit it to memory.  (I do hope the author recognizes the "Oxford comma" which I feel makes my long, somewhat disjointed diatribes, more readable. Thanks for bringing the book to my attention.

If these coins are a MS 66, then my coin should be a 67+. I have been checking out and buying many Morgans. I have looked at all the coins and am now just sending them in for grading with NGC. I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for posting.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, Johnnyb1954 said:

If these coins are a MS 66, then my coin should be a 67+. I have been checking out and buying many Morgans. I have looked at all the coins and am now just sending them in for grading with NGC. I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for posting.

I truly doubt there are more than VERY few remaining 67+ Morgan’s out there. Most people have never seen one “in the flesh”, including me. Of course, silver dollars aren’t anything that would attract my attention. 

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I truly doubt there are more than VERY few remaining 67+ Morgan’s out there. Most people have never seen one “in the flesh”, including me. Of course, silver dollars aren’t anything that would attract my attention. 

[That, my dear colleague, is why I intend to gift you one, minus toning.]

On 12/10/2020 at 4:52 PM, MarkFeld said:

Based on the image, the scratch doesn’t appear fresh. If it were, it would likely be shiny.

Old thread, notwithstanding -- (my, how tempus fugit!) -- I would be willing to bet you would concede that with a shift in lighting, what appears to be a scratch of no consequence, would be of great moment. 🤔 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

When I read stuff like this, all I can do is laugh.  I am picturing the job listing at the TPG 🥸

[If memory serves -- I neither wish to revisit or revive this thread -- I stood squarely behind this member and, much to my surprise alienated, some key Forum participants. Would I do the same if I had it to do all over again? Knowing me, probably.  😉 

I wrote a post  (but can't find the thread it's in !! xD) that noted that NGC has closed the gap -- in my mind -- in slab aesthetics and overall grading accuracy from what looked like clear PCGS advantages from 1990's onward for about 2 decades.  More threads about overgrading from PCGS despite the premiums such coins get in the marketplace (or maybe that's why they are overgraded !).

NGC modern slabs are outstanding, IMO. 

@Jason Abshier:

Retread guy here, reviewing your old post. I should like to reiterate (as I have spoken up on this before) I cannot speak on World coins, even generally but, the ONLY reason why the majority of French 20-franc gold rooster set registrants' collections end abruptly at NGC--and you need not take my word for it, you can see this for yourself--is because PCGS appeared to have a lock on the earlier "originals," i.e., 1899-1906, while NGC appeared.to have a lock on the later "restrikes," i.e., 1907-1914.  I do not know if this continues to be true. [To the eternal joy of my many detractors (all of whom covertly but avidly follow my musings) I suffered a fall, and am now retired, soon to be among those members active members shall one day inquire, "I wonder whatever happened to Q.A?"]  The term I use, here, "short set," is made up. I simply have an incomplete set. The use of the name "Herostratus Hoard," is preposterous. @zadok accurately researched the name, discovered a few facts, and while he didn't come right out say it, correctly deduced it could not possibly have anything to do with gold Roosters. A well-respected member and numismatist who embellished his post recently elsewhere with a glossary of "numismatic terms" commonly used, inadvertently and unintentionally drove the point home that my use of the term, "hoard," was improper.  I accept it. I own up to it. I only want to clear the air. Anyone inclined to find out who Quintus Arrius really was need only peck out "Ramming Speed!" on his keyboard which will take him to a YouTube video snippet from the 1959 film Ben-Hur, starring a young Charlton Heston as a galley slave, an hortator steadily thumping on a drum, and Jack [I forget his last name] calmly giving orders. That's Quintus Arrius. Absolutely none of this has anything to do with French 20-franc gold roosters. I believe my ranking here is within the Tp Ten, and last I heard, #1 "over there."  A gentleman here was kind enough to post a link to it, and I was gratified with the response. @VKurtB whom we all love and respect, allowed that any collection that can be compiled in just 90 days was [questionable.]  He evidently sensed something I didn't and it took me 18 months to find that out. In the end, it turns out I am not a collector, a numismatist, or even a hoarder. Just an ordinary person suddenly seized with the inexplicable, irresistible impulse to assemble as good a collection of gold Rooster as humanly possible. Aside: I cannot prove it, the venerable @RWB insists on solid replicable, empirical facts but at least two collectors here were forced to buy their wares, in part, "over there" because that was the only option in the face of grinding unavailability.  I know this because at one time I was monitoring population reports assiduously. Great hobby!  Great membership!  🐓 

On 1/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[If memory serves -- I neither wish to revisit or revive this thread -- I stood squarely behind this member and, much to my surprise alienated, some key Forum participants. Would I do the same if I had it to do all over again? Knowing me, probably.  😉 

I believe expressing the closing comment got me banned once. If I were a Moderator, I would have done the same.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You seem knowledgeable about coins so why the hostility ?  Debate coins, don't attack posters -- or even a TPG.

If you want to say you strongly disagree with a TPG on a grade they gave you or didn't give you....FINE.  You'd probably get support from here.

It's not only toning that matters....it's tone. xD

@GoldFinger1969Greetings!  All this time I thought you had no idea who the OP was--my recollection was you said, "Who's NS&G? To which I responded, "There's been a hullabaloo on this Forum concerning this member, who unabashedly took on all comers, for a week no less, and you didn't even know he was here and now he's gone!--and it turns out you did have contact!  I was ostracized for simply saying the guy was harmless. No need to reiterate. It's all here. I alienated everybody. EVERYBODY. In my mind, RR2020 was my downfall. I had all but forgotten this gentleman.  Later, I am going to come back and re-live the good old days! I trust all is well with you.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GoldFinger1969Greetings!  All this time I thought you had no idea who the OP was--my recollection was you said, "Who's NS&G? To which I responded, "There's been a hullabaloo on this Forum concerning this member, who unabashedly took on all comers, for a week no less, and you didn't even know he was here and now he's gone!--and it turns out you did have contact!  I was ostracized for simply saying the guy was harmless. No need to reiterate. It's all here. I alienated everybody. EVERYBODY. In my mind, RR2020 was my downfall. I had all but forgotten this gentleman.  Later, I am going to come back and re-live the good old days! I trust all is well with you.

I will not ostrich size you?! Whatever that means...

On 8/30/2022 at 3:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Jason Abshier:

Retread guy here, reviewing your old post. I should like to reiterate (as I have spoken up on this before) I cannot speak on World coins, even generally but, the ONLY reason why the majority of French 20-franc gold rooster set registrants' collections end abruptly at NGC--and you need not take my word for it, you can see this for yourself--is because PCGS appeared to have a lock on the earlier "originals," i.e., 1899-1906, while NGC appeared.to have a lock on the later "restrikes," i.e., 1907-1914.  I do not know if this continues to be true. [To the eternal joy of my many detractors (all of whom covertly but avidly follow my musings) I suffered a fall, and am now retired, soon to be among those members active members shall one day inquire, "I wonder whatever happened to Q.A?"]  The term I use, here, "short set," is made up. I simply have an incomplete set. The use of the name "Herostratus Hoard," is preposterous. @zadok accurately researched the name, discovered a few facts, and while he didn't come right out say it, correctly deduced it could not possibly have anything to do with gold Roosters. A well-respected member and numismatist who embellished his post recently elsewhere with a glossary of "numismatic terms" commonly used, inadvertently and unintentionally drove the point home that my use of the term, "hoard," was improper.  I accept it. I own up to it. I only want to clear the air. Anyone inclined to find out who Quintus Arrius really was need only peck out "Ramming Speed!" on his keyboard which will take him to a YouTube video snippet from the 1959 film Ben-Hur, starring a young Charlton Heston as a galley slave, an hortator steadily thumping on a drum, and Jack [I forget his last name] calmly giving orders. That's Quintus Arrius. Absolutely none of this has anything to do with French 20-franc gold roosters. I believe my ranking here is within the Tp Ten, and last I heard, #1 "over there."  A gentleman here was kind enough to post a link to it, and I was gratified with the response. @VKurtB whom we all love and respect, allowed that any collection that can be compiled in just 90 days was [questionable.]  He evidently sensed something I didn't and it took me 18 months to find that out. In the end, it turns out I am not a collector, a numismatist, or even a hoarder. Just an ordinary person suddenly seized with the inexplicable, irresistible impulse to assemble as good a collection of gold Rooster as humanly possible. Aside: I cannot prove it, the venerable @RWB insists on solid replicable, empirical facts but at least two collectors here were forced to buy their wares, in part, "over there" because that was the only option in the face of grinding unavailability.  I know this because at one time I was monitoring population reports assiduously. Great hobby!  Great membership!  🐓 

All the items you need to assemble the ultimate Coq Marianne set are out there. They may be raw; they may be in the “wrong” plastic, but they are out there. The “truth” about space aliens is probably NOT out there, but the truth about 20Fr French gold coins sure is.  To assemble it requires WORK, the work associated with crossing or submitting the right pieces to the right TPGS. If you have been unwilling to do that work, why do you expect somebody else to do it?

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/30/2022 at 4:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Just an ordinary person suddenly seized with the inexplicable, irresistible impulse to assemble as good a collection of gold Rooster as humanly possible.

But --- aren't we all ?

Sometimes, people stretch their expectations a little when submitting to a TPG. I have been disappointed and thrilled so I know both ends of the spectrum. Assuming that they did scratch the coin, as alleged, you still have a $150 coin.

did you shoot photos of them before submitting? I always do, what if they are lost in shipment? It happens.

I believe you were quite harsh, and somewhat irrational with your reaction. Have you called them? What dialog have you had with them. I’m not stumping for one TPG over another, I have many of both.

I don’t think it wise to resubmit the coin because it would surely surpass its value by doing so.

could you share pictures of the other coins in your submission? I personally think they were generous, given the scratch was somehow there when it arrived. 
good luck. Just because this is an NGC forum, it is not favorable on you to knock on one or the other.

nuf said

@VKurtB:

Absolutely not true!  The "Rooster Roster" 🐓 is still #1. What do you think I had been doing for well nigh two years? All my spies were well-positioned. All the gathering of information and developing leads were for naught. I resorted to underhanded bribery! Customs seized a parcel and held it for ransom. Our Conder101, citing chapter and verse, helpfully advised me what they did was flat out wrong! But what could I do?: FedEx, acting on behest of CBP, said pay up, or the fancy collectibles go back. They were right here at EWR! I could hear their raucous crowing! What would you do? I paid the ransom. What enquiring minds want to know is:  How did you know I could not compile an otherwise unremarkable 16-coin set in 90 days? Money was no object. How does someone with practically no knowledge of an obscure series nevertheless know it could not be done?  ["Funny how?  Like I am a clown here to amuse you?"] HOW DID YOU KNOW? And now when all is said and done, you infer I didn't do everything humanly possible? I upgraded as far as I could, kept my feelers out--and nothing! And, not to rub it in, but what about that promising lead (business card) you said you had for me from the time before the last time you went to Rosemont? Pffft! If, as you claim, there is something out there AVAILABLE AND ACCESSIBLE, it would have been in my hands yesterday.  😉  (worship)

On 12/10/2020 at 8:17 PM, NevadaS&G said:

Rush Limbaugh was talking about Succession today lol You may not even be an American pretty soon

This comment is way too precious to leave unresurrected! Retread guy here, folks, giving an old thread a quick once-over. If I am not mistaken, the word is "secession," a world of a difference in meaning from succession.  🐓 

On 12/13/2020 at 11:57 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Affirmation. Identification. Validation.  If you are relatively new here (and even I am new here, too) you have to spend some time getting to know who your audience is.  If this very same topic, phrased as an ultimatum, were posted by one of our movers and shakers, veritable rainmakers occupying corner offices, it would elicit an entirely different response. Our ears would perk up. There are members here whose credentials are so above reproach we would instantly give them the benefit of the doubt.  But when you are new and have yet to establish your position and reputation along the pecking order, you must substantiate your allegations. What we are left with is a lot of conjecture and while I would not characterize the OP's goods as "mundane," the fact is all still maintain varying states of the generally coveted Mint State status. I believe I would have asked for a review first before presenting my case here before the court of public opinion without evidence.

This is what I wrote...

On 12/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, MAULEMALL said:

Blah Blah Blah.. .. Your Bloviating is tiresome.. Some would say mundane...lol

blowing smoke up peoples arses is your thing not mine...:acclaim:

Again.. Get a room..:juggle:

... this is the reply I got. Man, I miss this guy!

On 12/13/2020 at 2:08 PM, bsshog40 said:

One of the reasons I blocked this guy not long after he joined. He likes to type a lot of words that in the end don't amount to anything!

Here's another precious gem. [The reference to "he" is me.] I miss this guy, too.