• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im deleting my PCGS Account and never going back
1 1

359 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

I have to crack all 10 coins now and send them back to NGC.

This comment made it sound like they were originally in NGC plastic then cracked out and sent to PCGS and now he is contemplating sending them back to NGC. (shrug) Could be mistaken.

30 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

And that the “66+” was the poster’s opinion on an ungraded coin. Hopefully, he can set the record straight.

Not sure. Wait, S&G just replied.... Man I'm a slow typist. 

Hello I'm not giving up my secrets on crossing Holders. Lets say 8-9 of the 10 coins were Graded already, 1-2 were from a Raw Dealer. 

I just cracked an Anacs Coin and Sent it to NGC. It was graded MS64 at Anacs and NGC gave me back a MS65.

That's not happening at PCGS at all. I'm getting dinged 2-3-4 grades less on my current submission of 10 coins. 

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

He is.  Very wise and his knowledge of numismatics is unparalleled.  I have known him for years.

I wasn't kidding.  (thumbsu  Maybe you know him.

Edited by Alex in PA.

19 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Hello I'm not giving up my secrets on crossing Holders. Lets say 8-9 of the 10 coins were Graded already, 1-2 were from a Raw Dealer. 

I just cracked an Anacs Coin and Sent it to NGC. It was graded MS64 at Anacs and NGC gave me back a MS65.

That's not happening at PCGS at all. I'm getting dinged 2-3-4 grades less on my current submission of 10 coins. 

That makes it sound as if most of the coins weren’t graded by NGC, previously. And to me, at least, as if they were probably liberally graded.

19 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

That makes it sound as if most of the coins weren’t graded by NGC, previously. And to me, at least, as if they were probably liberally graded.

That makes it sound to me that PCGS is not grading properly or they are too fast. The graders at PCGS are all Californians and I know Californians. They would rather be at Disneyland than doing their Jobs or dreaming about starring in a Pron movie.

Unless I bought a coin raw at a 66+ price, I wouldn't be unhappy with those grades. I would rather have a conservatively graded coin than an overgraded ANACS or NGC slab. In my experience PCGS from 63-66 is more conservative with grades but as was pointed out eralier, PCGS tends to distinguish the higher grades coins by adding another point. 

18 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

I've offended the Entire State of California. Thankfully I moved to Nevada almost a Decade Ago. Stress Factor has gone down 100 fold + we have a lot of horses here that are very hard to offend. Lots of cowpoke with horses on the Northern side of Town.

I lived in Nevada for 5 years. 2002 to 2007. Had a contract with a non compete. So moved back to CA.

Obviously my opinion is just that: an opinion, but here is my take on the matter:

A. The 1889 with the "gash" on the cheek was already scratched when you sent it in, but, in hand, the scratch was not as prominent as it appears in the pictures, and was missed by you.

B. The folks at PCGS saw something - cleaning perhaps - that caused them to think that the surfaces of the coin had been messed with. Maybe they erred on the side of caution; maybe not. Either way, it is possible that it will get the same designation if sent to any other service, including NGC. 

C. The coin that ANACS graded MS64, and NGC graded MS65 was undergraded by a point by today's standards, and both services got the grade right. 

D. The coin that was MS66+ and downgraded to MS64 was overgraded, again, by current standards, (and, possibly just overgraded periodand is now correctly graded.

E. No one at PCGS used a scalpel on any of your coins. 

Hey, I know it stings to expect to increase the value of your coins, only to get what, to you, is an unfair slap in the face, but you can turn this into something positive, if you choose to do so.

If you will swallow your pride, and look at this experience as a learning opportunity, you can improve your grading skills, and save yourself some heartache, and possibly some money, in the future.

Again, just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Just Bob, I am fairly certain the gash wasn't there and even if it was and I would have taken a MS65+ and never had to write this post. I have 7-8 other coins that I don't think I got a fair score on so it really doesn't matter I will still never send another coin to PCGS

Here's another thread/post I made. This one was PCGS also: An MS63 coin

Edited by NevadaS&G

3 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:
3 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Curiously, what was the cost of the NGC membership?

20 USD

$25 is the minimum.  Although, I would choose the premium account for $149, since you get it all back in credit.  

26 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Obviously my opinion is just that: an opinion, but here is my take on the matter:

A. The 1889 with the "gash" on the cheek was already scratched when you sent it in, but, in hand, the scratch was not as prominent as it appears in the pictures, and was missed by you.

B. The folks at PCGS saw something - cleaning perhaps - that caused them to think that the surfaces of the coin had been messed with. Maybe they erred on the side of caution; maybe not. Either way, it is possible that it will get the same designation if sent to any other service, including NGC. 

C. The coin that ANACS graded MS64, and NGC graded MS65 was undergraded by a point by today's standards, and both services got the grade right. 

D. The coin that was MS66+ and downgraded to MS64 was overgraded, again, by current standards, (and, possibly just overgraded periodand is now correctly graded.

E. No one at PCGS used a scalpel on any of your coins. 

Hey, I know it stings to expect to increase the value of your coins, only to get what, to you, is an unfair slap in the face, but you can turn this into something positive, if you choose to do so.

If you will swallow your pride, and look at this experience as a learning opportunity, you can improve your grading skills, and save yourself some heartache, and possibly some money, in the future.

Again, just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Ive been getting repeatedly Cheated at PCGS and I can care less about your Opinions

12 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Just Bob, I am fairly certain the gash wasn't there and even if it was and I would have taken a MS65+ and never had to write this post. I have 7-8 other coins that I don't think I got a fair score on so it really doesn't matter I will still never send another coin to PCGS

Are you saying you didn't photo your coins before submitting them? Fairly certain is bullshirt and gives you No right to slander a company that is regarded as one of 2 at the very top.

That's just astounding to me...  Makes you wonder what the internet libel laws are in California..

16 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Are you saying you didn't photo your coins before submitting them? Fairly certain is bullshirt and gives you No right to slander a company that is regarded as one of 2 at the very top.

That's just astounding to me...  Makes you wonder what the internet libel laws are in California..

At this point they should refund me my 500 Dollars that i sent them and I trust ICG more than PCGS can grade !!!

I am fairly new to collecting, and the first set of coins that I was ecstatic to send in for grading went to PCGS. I was convinced I was getting back top grades, and was nauseated to see what the grades turned out to be. I was like you, and felt it was complete and utter nonsense and PCGS had screwed me over.

BUT in the last six months of taking much more time to learn the grading nuances, poring over tons of graded examples, etc. I can honestly say they are pretty darn spot on. Go figure the professionals knew more than I did? I’m not saying you are as inept at grading as I was, and admittedly probably still am, but there is a reason both PCGS and NGC are far and away the top of their field. 

Edited by Woods020
Typo

So what I understand is you've shown one coin that you claim PCGS scratched but you have no before pics of the coin. You haven't shown any of the other coins that you believe were improperly graded. You don't want to hear anyone's opinions but yet you want to bash a company and have everyone follow suit? It's a lot easier to prove neglect if you have legitimate proof that others can see and judge for themselves. Not sure if you're looking for sympathy or just PO'd that you may not be able to grade coins very well. Show us what you want us to believe! 

10 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

So what I understand is you've shown one coin that you claim PCGS scratched but you have no before pics of the coin. You haven't shown any of the other coins that you believe were improperly graded. You don't want to hear anyone's opinions but yet you want to bash a company and have everyone follow suit? It's a lot easier to prove neglect if you have legitimate proof that others can see and judge for themselves. Not sure if you're looking for sympathy or just PO'd that you may not be able to grade coins very well. Show us what you want us to believe! 

32 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

All this proves is you don't have a clue about grading. 

Your ms 63 97s is a textbook 63. 

Have you thought about another hobby.. Fishing is very relaxing and the fish don't care when you slander them.

1 hour ago, NevadaS&G said:

Well my opinion would be the first pic is a 63, maybe a 64 on a good day. The second coin shouldn't have even graded higher than 61. I think you should look at more examples of MS63's than using one bad example to plead your case. 

To all the professional numismatic experts out there with over 150 aggregate years of experience:  Guess the grade assigned by PCGS to this 1909 French 20-franc gold rooster I paid a ransom to have brought to the United States.20201210_223523.thumb.jpg.48e47f5f43456ac07975dba0821d0fd6.jpg20201210_223616.thumb.jpg.e9829ae3c53c0ee41135d9c0352adc4e.jpg

On 12/10/2020 at 7:14 PM, MAULEMALL said:

All this proves is you don't have a clue about grading. 

Your ms 63 97s is a textbook 63. 

Have you thought about another hobby.. Fishing is very relaxing and the fish don't care when you slander them.

It's the Truth, I have another example that I paid PCGS Express for, over 100 $ A toned Morgan with NO BAG MARKS and it got graded as an MS63. I wrote PCGS an Email and no response.

The Company is as CROOKED, they graded it at minimum score and just passed it over and TOOK THE MONEY. Someone got back to me a month later and offered me a Token lol U have to be kidding me 

I'm not connected, I'm a small fry in a very large pond and they will take advantage of everyone they can. 

Edited by NevadaS&G