• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im deleting my PCGS Account and never going back
1 1

359 posts in this topic

I recently burned 69 dollars at PCGS and sent 10 coins for grading (300$ +). What a Disappointment. All my coins came back with lowball grades and one has an extra Deep Scratch. I had a MS66+ Morgan that can back MS64.

Account deleted ! I've learned my lesson. I'm sticking to NGC & Anacs exclusively. I feel so stupid, they are based out of California so who knows what's going on out there. Maybe they are Antifa

Who charges a 69 dollar membership fee anyway. Its got a deviant connotation that goes right along with NFC ? I urge people to stay away from this Company, maybe they are perverts

13 minutes ago, Simple Collector said:

I think both NGC and PCGS are good tpg's but do seem to grade some series a little different. On crossovers, my success has been about 75% from PCGS to NGC.

i also find it better to purchase coins already graded sometimes to ease the heartbreak.

Same here. I can't afford to buy the big dollar coins. The ones I usually buy it is cheaper for me to buy them already slabbed. I get some graded. Like my v75 ASE and v75 silver medal. Also u know what your getting most the time when they are already graded. 

Edited by Hoghead515

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Interesting, most of the time I think they tend to overgrade/inflate the grades, however as long as your happier with the service here then its all good.

I most definitely will stay here at NGC because the service is beyond stellar and I can rest assured they wont pick at my coin with a medical scalpel trying to find imaginary puddy like PCGS just did. 

Edited by NevadaS&G

3 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

I recently burned 69 dollars at PCGS and sent 10 coins for grading (300$ +). What a Disappointment. All my coins came back with lowball grades and one has an extra Deep Scratch. I had a MS66+ Morgan that can back MS64.

Account deleted ! I've learned my lesson. I'm sticking to NGC & Anacs exclusively. I feel so stupid, they are based out of California so who knows what's going on out there. Maybe they are Antifa

Who charges a 69 dollar membership fee anyway. Its got a deviant connotation that goes right along with NFC ? I urge people to stay away from this Company, maybe they are perverts

Wow. Never had any problems with PCGS. Did you offend them in any manner whatsover? 

Edited by Modwriter

45 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Wow. Never had any problems with PCGS. Did you offend them in any manner whatsover? 

I've offended the Entire State of California. Thankfully I moved to Nevada almost a Decade Ago. Stress Factor has gone down 100 fold + we have a lot of horses here that are very hard to offend. Lots of cowpoke with horses on the Northern side of Town.

Edited by NevadaS&G

6 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

I have to crack all 10 coins now and send them back to NGC.

10 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

All my coins came back with lowball grades and one has an extra Deep Scratch.

I'd think about leaving them in the PCGS slabs, a third round of grading is probably not going to net you much other than more expense. Especially if they were mishandled as you claim.

Do you have some before and after pics of one or two of the coins, I'd really like to see that 66+ that dropped 2+ points, that's surprising. Especially since PCGS seems to get called out for gradeflation more often than not, more so on the big ticket coins.

Far too much consternation goes into which grading service is "better", and I am often dismayed and a mused over the endless threads and discourse (far and away, mostly ATS) to "prove" that X is "better" than Y.

Great coins exist in every single legitimate company's slabs and I prefer to focus on that.  For reasons beyond "grading", I do prefer NGC, but my certified collection contains a substantial percentage of PCGS and ANACS coins.

6 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Code 94 Altered Surfaces

The gash in the cheek looks fresh...

40553197_trueview_202934653_medium.jpg

Thats a well struck Morgan... And since I don't have a clue as to the freshness of the "scratch" I will say that it is a Nice looking coin either way..

7 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

"March 25, 2004

NGC is slightly looser above MS65, but I believe that is a good thing. With PCGS you have a grade distribution like this:

MS66: 131

MS67: 52

MS68: 0

With NGC it is frequently:

MS66: 127

MS67: 43

MS68: 7

Some people point to this as NCG being looser or PCGS be more conservative. I believe it shows that NGC is being more accurate in its grading. With PCGS they have lumped a bunch of coins into one top grade. Perhaps all those coins do technically grade MS67. However, the marketplace values the higher quality examples more than the lower quality examples. With PCGS you have to take the dealers word or know how to grade them. With NGC they have put the top few "possibly technically MS67", yet superb for the grade coins into a higher grade slab to separate them from the rest. Basically, they have helped rank the quality of the coins. PCGS has taken MS66.8-to-MS68.2 coins and put them in MS67 slabs. NGC has taken the MS67.8+ coins and put them in MS68 slabs".

This person sounds very wise. hm

9 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd think about leaving them in the PCGS slabs, a third round of grading is probably not going to net you much other than more expense. Especially if they were mishandled as you claim.

Do you have some before and after pics of one or two of the coins, I'd really like to see that 66+ that dropped 2+ points, that's surprising. Especially since PCGS seems to get called out for gradeflation more often than not, more so on the big ticket coins.

I’m under the impression that the coins have been graded once, not twice. And that the “66+” was the poster’s opinion on an ungraded coin. Hopefully, he can set the record straight.

20 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

Curiously, what was the cost of the NGC membership?