• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 D Dime Error

9 posts in this topic

So I’ve been buying a few on EBay. I’ve just started and was more interested in collecting some silver. But it has been fun learning about each coin I’ve bought. I’m up to just over $5 face value now.

While looking at my most recent one, it looks like it may match a 42 over 41 error. Can someone more experienced give me an opinion on what to do from here? And an opinion on if it is indeed a 42 over 41?

878A21C7-D696-42BA-87B3-198BAB2A5F0D.jpeg

BC270F48-2768-4140-A42D-A1DD9D13E949.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. To me, the coin doesn’t look right for a 1942/1-D. As compared to the linked example below, yours doesn’t appear to display the doubling at the base of the 4. Also, what looks like a possible digit 1 extends too far beneath the bottom of the 2 in the date and the shape of the 2 in the date looks off.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mercury-dimes/1942-1-d-10c-fs-101-ms64-full-bands-pcgs/a/1319-3598.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Conder101 is correct in his assessment. NGC gets a lot of these would-be overdates that are just the products of worn dies.